73 Duster Twister Guy

-

Twister73

Reaction score
OLD BOLT AND KNUCKLE BUSTER, NEWBIE HERE. Been wrenching since 1963. Built a **** load of SB Chevys and Fords for buddies in my high school days. I was so car crazy the parents wouldn't let me get a car, but I could get a motorcycle LOL! Still riding Super Bikes at 71...must have some loose bolts upstairs! Bought a new 1968 Roadrunner 383 4 speed when I was in the Army, followed by a 1970 Duster 340 4 speed car....of course I wish I still had them !!! Did a resto 70 Duster 4 speed 25 years ago, but divorce forced sale. Last 25 years I got into Super Bikes, but recently bought and all original(paint & interior) 1973 Duster Twister Cali car, 318 3 speed. Just picked up a 1968 NP A833, A body 4 speed trans. Will be looking for a 71-72 360 to build as a 408 soon. Will be saving and preserving the 318/3spd. Grew up on 8.75 rear ends & not familiar with the 8.25 for strength or durability.
*** I researched the 73' Twister before getting it but found zip on Production Numbers, so help with this would be appreciated ! ***
Just call me Ted

Welcome!

I saw that ‘73 Duster Twister on eBay last month. The rare for ‘73 hood scoops caught my eye as there were not many ordered with the scoops since it was an option on top of the Twister package. They were actually the same scoops found on the ‘69 Cuda’s!

Welcome!

I saw that ‘73 Duster Twister on eBay last month. The rare for ‘73 hood scoops caught my eye as there were not many ordered with the scoops since it was an option on top of the Twister package. They were actually the same scoops found on the ‘69 Cuda’s!
Yep, I was looking for a 73' Twister for a long time and this one popped up. I wanted the 4.5" bolt pattern with better spindles and bigger bearings plus much better wheel selection. Roger that on the scoops. I'l keep the rubber bumper blocks but they'l be on my shelf instead! Interesting that the car has manual steering and standard brakes, stick shift, but ponied up $'s for the scoops. I still have not found production numbers on the Twisters.

Last edited:
Welcome Ted! As a newbie to engine building, I can tell you that the folks here are an incredible bunch. They treat me with respect and always help when needed. You’re obviously a pretty seasoned wrench turner, but I just wanted to welcome you and help you feel you’re in the right place.
Mike

Will be saving and preserving the 318/3spd. Grew up on 8.75 rear ends & not familiar with the 8.25 for strength or durability.

Welcome to FABO, Ted!
The 8.25 was fine behind a stock 318, but if you're planning a 'healthy' 408 I believe you're going to need to replace it with a tried-and-true 8.75 for longevity.

Welcome! How about some more pictures of the car besides I assume your avatar...

OLD BOLT AND KNUCKLE BUSTER, NEWBIE HERE. Been wrenching since 1963. Built a **** load of SB Chevys and Fords for buddies in my high school days. I was so car crazy the parents wouldn't let me get a car, but I could get a motorcycle LOL! Still riding Super Bikes at 71...must have some loose bolts upstairs! Bought a new 1968 Roadrunner 383 4 speed when I was in the Army, followed by a 1970 Duster 340 4 speed car....of course I wish I still had them !!! Did a resto 70 Duster 4 speed 25 years ago, but divorce forced sale. Last 25 years I got into Super Bikes, but recently bought and all original(paint & interior) 1973 Duster Twister Cali car, 318 3 speed. Just picked up a 1968 NP A833, A body 4 speed trans. Will be looking for a 71-72 360 to build as a 408 soon. Will be saving and preserving the 318/3spd. Grew up on 8.75 rear ends & not familiar with the 8.25 for strength or durability.
*** I researched the 73' Twister before getting it but found zip on Production Numbers, so help with this would be appreciated ! ***
Just call me Ted
Welcome back home Ted!! We all been waiting for you! Stick with us an you will not go wrong! Have u heard this one? FORD.
F-orget
O-f
R-acing
D-odge.
:realcrazy::lol:

Welcome to FABO, Ted!
The 8.25 was fine behind a stock 318, but if you're planning a 'healthy' 408 I believe you're going to need to replace it with a tried-and-true 8.75 for longevity.
Yes ocdart is correct, 8.75 is the best for street an strip use. 742 case or 489 case. steer clear of the 741 case. The pinon shaft is to small.

Yep, I was looking for a 73' Twister for a long time and this one popped up. I wanted the 4.5" bolt pattern with better spindles and bigger bearings plus much better wheel selection. Roger that on the scoops. I'l keep the rubber bumper blocks but they'l be on my shelf instead! Interesting that the car has manual steering and standard brakes, stick shift, but ponied up $'s for the scoops. I still have not found production numbers on the Twisters.
Don't forget the sure grip.

Thanks guys! I definitely will be looking for a 742 or 489 case, and A body rear end housing. Sure Grip is an absolute! More pics in a few weeks. I built a new shop on my property and have to get it wired, so will get some car pics when finished. Boy have the prices gone crazy since I did my last build 20 years ago!!!

Thanks guys! I definitely will be looking for a 742 or 489 case, and A body rear end housing. Sure Grip is an absolute! More pics in a few weeks. I built a new shop on my property and have to get it wired, so will get some car pics when finished. Boy have the prices gone crazy since I did my last build 20 years ago!!!
I just remembered, u can use a B-body 8.75 rear from like a 67 to 70 I think. Some one help me out:( u will have to move the the spring perches inward like 1 inch each side... that's it. I put one in my 80 Volar'e wagon. I had 15x8.5 wheels, and fat tires. I still had lots of clearance. The later 70's B-body rears are way to wide.

-
Back