73 Duster windshield Remove/Replace, DIY or for the Pros?

-

Lone Yankee

Reaction score
:?: Hello, guys. I'm a new to the Mopar scene and I have really been enjoying this site. This place is great! I have a background as a jewler/metalsmith and am generally pretty handy but I don't want to get in over my head. Since my Duster needs some serious attention in and behind the dash, and since it appears you have to pull the windshield to pull the dash; my question is can a self-trained handyman make this a DIY job or is a windshield remove/replace strictly for the pros? I figured I'd look before I leap. Any suggestions?

Any comments are welcome. Paul.

step 1)move to florida
step 2)get insurance on the car
step 3)call insurance one week later and report a broken windshield
step 4)they replace for free, per state law

easy as that...although I actually paid for my new windshield, the windshield isnt the cost problem, its the new weatherstrip...look at about $100 for new weatherstrip and $200-225 for the windshield

Thats no kiddin....pay to get that sucker put in there...unless you like lake mopar in yer floorboards

Thanks for the responses. I'll coordinate pulling the dash with the body work and the new windshield. I like doing things myself but I am no hero either. I'll have the pros do it.

-LY

I tried to R&R the windshield in my duster, but I had a leak after I installed it. I would recommend removing it yourself, cleaning up the gasket and around where the gasket fits to the body, repairing any damaged or lost trim clips and then getting someone to reinstall it with you. The "professionals" definentely won't spend the time cleaning up the old urethane silicon or whatever else has been applied in there, but you can.

if you are taking it out ,go very gently with it ,if you stress the screen it will crack ,i normally cut the gasket and replace with a new one

I've not been on here in a loonnnggg time but like the new look. It just started back in on my A-body cars (I presently have 3 of em) this spring and hoping to have one ready to go to the Nats.
For what it is worth: I've pulled a many an A-body windshield over the years, both in the shop and in the scrapyard. The only way I've found to do it consistently and successfully without stressing and breaking it is to take a sharp razor scraper and cut the gasket clean and free all the way around the outside. I fish a piece of piano wire thru the remaining gasket, wrap each end of the wire tightly around a short stout wooden dowel and with a helper on the inside of the car, we cut the backside of the gasket with the wire (takes time and patience). Once it's cut, we can usually just lift it out with a set of glass handler's suction cups or just a gentle push.
I want to emphasize patience doing this, go real slow and be verrrry gentle. The first time you "lose it", get rough with it and/or force it, it will break.....don't ask me how I know.
Once you get it all cleaned up (no shop is gonna spend the time to clean it right), replace any moulding clips that might be missing, broken or rusted and have a new gasket in your possession, get a pro to assist or do it for ya.
To do one of these cars properly is going to take some time compared to the modern day in/out that they a customarily used to. Try to find the oldest guy in the shop....someone that's "been there" rather than the 18 year old "know it all".
Thats my .02 cents worth.
LJ

-
Back