73 Scamp /6 to 360

-

Hawkfan#12

Reaction score
The original /6 harness has two FLD ( blue and green) connectors going to the alternator. The alternator that came with the 360 has only one FLD connector on it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The original /6 harness has two FLD ( blue and green) connectors going to the alternator. The alternator that came with the 360 has only one FLD connector on it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

yes bolt the slant alt on or go buy a 73 dual fld alt

yes bolt the slant alt on or go buy a 73 dual fld alt

I would but the /6 alternator is a single belt pulley and the 360 is dual with the belt on the outside. So the /6 alternator would put the belt out of alignment. Thanks though.

I would but the /6 alternator is a single belt pulley and the 360 is dual with the belt on the outside. So the /6 alternator would put the belt out of alignment. Thanks though.

then you are running the wrong pulley set up.

if you insist on running the wrong pulley set up then go get a dual pulley 73 style dual fld alt.

here is how a non a/c belt is supposed to run in a 73 v8

dartparts038.jpg

dartparts037.jpg

then you are running the wrong pulley set up.

if you insist on running the wrong pulley set up then go get a dual pulley 73 style dual fld alt.

Since this is my first build Im not insisting on anything lol. That being said this is how I received this 360 (pics). From your pics it appears my water pump extends out farther thus I'm guessing the outside pulley use. I do appreciate your suggestions too.
15508865583894143719585414147556.jpg
15508865990566315623406374240209.jpg

wrong wp pulley for sure. almost looks like an early water pump too.. thats a mess ya got on your hands there..

quick fix is to get the 73 a/c alt. to do it right you'll need the pulleys and bracket i posted and maybe the correct water pump.

Quick summary of the differences:
'70 up water pump is slightly longer than the '69 down, and the inlet is on the passenger side.

The alternator housings all mount interchangeably. The pulleys can be changed, but requires opening up the alternator to properly support pressing the new one on.
Since your electric system uses a voltage regulator with two wires to the alternator, you generally can't use a alternator with single field terminal.
Reason is that alternators made with single field terminals have the second terminal grounded to the housing and its brush is not insulated.

Save the early alternator for someone who wants an early style and do like Joe suggests.

Quick summary of the differences:
'70 up water pump is slightly longer than the '69 down, and the inlet is on the passenger side.

The alternator housings all mount interchangeably. The pulleys can be changed, but requires opening up the alternator to properly support pressing the new one on.
Since your electric system uses a voltage regulator with two wires to the alternator, you generally can't use a alternator with single field terminal.
Reason is that alternators made with single field terminals have the second terminal grounded to the housing and its brush is not insulated.

Save the early alternator for someone who wants an early style and do like Joe suggests.

Will do and thank you all for assist. I'll post follow up when I get it right.

-
Back