74 360 4V questions

-

Baghdad Dart

Reaction score
My son and I was replacing his flat purple cam in his duster today and noticed that it has dual valve springs on it. This is a stone stock almost 19K mile engine..yes YOU READ IT RIGHT..less than 19K miles on a 74. He got it a few years ago for $2,000. Took the heads off today to check eveything after the purple cam that was put into it went flat after about 3 Hours of running it. The questions are ...this is a police motor in it and does it supposed to have the dual springs on it? It has J heads and absolutly no ridge at all in it with the standard bore. Any good information on this year engine and its rareity would be helpful myself and my son Matt.

Jeff

Duster almost finished 003 (Small).jpg

Duster almost finished 004 (Small).jpg

Did Have Two Srings Or Was The Inner Spring A Flat Wound Type Spring. Ifso, That Is A Spring Dampner. As For The Cam Going Flat, You Need To Break It In With An Oil That Has A Good Zinc Package. You Can Also Get An Additive From Hughes Engines.

That engine shouldnt have j heads stock,are you sure someone hasnt been in it?.

When we opened it up...everything inside it was stock Mopar from the factory. We were told by the original owner that he ordered it with the police engine and it had good things in from the factory. he never did anything to it and we didnt either..excpt for the cam being put in at a garage here.
The inner springs are the flat style too...

Jeff

If the VIN has an L code for the engine then it should be a hi-po 360. The 340 587 head was used on those engines and the spring dampers are standard equipment on those heads. Basically the 74 360 received the appointments of the 73 340.

Did Have Two Srings Or Was The Inner Spring A Flat Wound Type Spring. If so, That Is A Spring Dampner. As For The Cam Going Flat, You Need To Break It In With An Oil That Has A Good Zinc Package. You Can Also Get An Additive From Hughes Engines.

This is my guess, Single spring with a damper not duals.

look at the fender tag, it should have an E58 code on it for the engine.

Yes, single spring with flat wound dampner. It's not a double spring.

I agree with lead69 that it shouldn't have J heads on it. In 73 they started using the 587 casting (the J head is a 915 casting only used from 71-72). Their basically the same casting except some have air injection ports. Maybe a little smaller ports but not much. It may not be a high production unit but I'm not sure I'd call it rare. I'm pretty sure it's the same engine they used in 74 360 hi perf. Cuda's also.

100_0663.jpg

This is a 587 head. Check out the "J"

there's the casting number
100_0662.jpg

I suspect this is exactly like the head's he's got on his engine

If the VIN has an L code for the engine then it should be a hi-po 360. The 340 587 head was used on those engines and the spring dampers are standard equipment on those heads. Basically the 74 360 received the appointments of the 73 340.

Interesting,Ive had and still have some J-heads with the 587 casting but they were off of 73 340s,never would have guessed they put some on a 74 360!.I had a 74 police 360 block that my buddy is using to build his 408 out of but the heads were gone when I got it.

100_0663.jpg

This is a 587 head. Check out the "J"

there's the casting number
100_0662.jpg

I suspect this is exactly like the head's he's got on his engine

Well how about that. See something new every day. I've had 2 sets of 587's and neither had a J on them. Top or bottom. Did those have a "J" between the spark plugs on top?

The '915' casting was first used in 1970 as well as 1971 and 1972. The infamous 'TA' head was a '915' casting as well as the 1970 340 head with the 2.020 intake valve for 1970 and 1971. The '915' received the 1.880 360 intake valve for 1972 and the '587' casting was used on the 1973 340's but did find it's way into late production '72 engines. Performance was really the same between them, with the same valves. No year is really any better than another other than rarity. JMHO

Terry

Hate to pop the bubble but...that doesnt look like a J to me. Looks like an A with a lower leg missing. Could be my eyes..

-
Back