74 Dart 360 Sport

-
Nothing to exciting he is planning to have it assembled this week. He had to order new harmonic balancer I didn't order as I knew he would balance should be there tomorrow. He will paint only block pan and valve covers. The rest will stay natural aluminum. I got the old parts as well today. 100 sure this was into before the water pump and timing chain looked newer. The cam and lifters looked nice but we're original. I'm told the E58 package had a 70 340 cam. I will clean this up oil and bag it. Heads also looked really good. They obviously didn't change the oil well or it was the dino oil.

IMG20230403141034.jpg

IMG20230403141135.jpg

Plan to install the climate controls last time today and then take out the voltage regulator won't need it for the one wire new harness setup. I should have the engine early next week for setup and install. Need to paint my under hood supports and gas cap. Install my vent hoses will leave the glove box out. After engine break in I will do final install AC hoses and check for leaks.

Had no ignition switch voltage stupid new switch I had an extra new shipping mishap swapped it out. Glad I didn't give up on those intermittent blinkers. It was not the issue it was ignition wire from new switch had to replace it grumbling. When blinkers stopped I had no coil power! All works as it should now and climate controls are in. Ran the vent hoses for all defrost and just need to mount the forward vents. Tomorrow I can mount my front underneath vents. FYI vintage air control switches are JUNK. Cheapest **** I have ever seen during this whole endeavor. I would not buy from them again very unimpressed. Glad I built my own and saved a lot. If the 72 Duster is the same stuff as I'm sure it is just looks different I would have gone a different route for AC. The tabs in the switch are loose I had to soldier two of them loose brand new out of box first switch was busted. Tell me again why crap is made in China and Mexico sorry but this manufacturing is ridiculously bad and cheap.

IMG20230408211341.jpg

I just found your adventures, and read the whole thing in one sitting.
Good job so far, this car has thrown about everything at you.

Yep she don't want on the road willingly hahaha.
I got a D150 in the garage, drove it in there.
Fighting a wiring mess under the hood, previous owner had it running off toggle switches and points.
Got that mess cleaned up, and put the missing electrical switches in for the wipers.
Turned the wipers on, they actually worked, for a few wipes, then the passenger wiper stopped and the drivers wiper crashed into it, breaking all the wiper bushings.
Fun fun..........

Managed to get the vents in today and hoses ran to them one to cut and connect. Not bad overall I'm pretty happy with how it looks and hope it cools well enough to enjoy in heat. Defrost also connected.

IMG20230409193403.jpg

Vents look like the old factory knee-knockersl.

Ok fellas I want a lip spoiler to help scoop air to the AC. Not sure this is possible on Dart Sport bumper and grill which I plan to keep as I got a Dart Sport not a Demon converted lol. I know the LS 74 Dart Sport has one on his car not sure who else has done one. Feel free to post some pictures and links thanks.

Ok fellas I want a lip spoiler to help scoop air to the AC. Not sure this is possible on Dart Sport bumper and grill which I plan to keep as I got a Dart Sport not a Demon converted lol. I know the LS 74 Dart Sport has one on his car not sure who else has done one. Feel free to post some pictures and links thanks.
I may have mentioned this before but my cold Master AC kits all came with a small 12-in Pusher fan that goes in front of the condenser and activates when the compressor activates.. of course it just activates the relay for the fan...

I may have mentioned this before but my cold Master AC kits all came with a small 12-in Pusher fan that goes in front of the condenser and activates when the compressor activates.. of course it just activates the relay for the fan...
Yeah I put one on the front of AC condenser and I got room for another if really wanted to go nuts. Just thinking the scoop may help with air flow.

So the freaking engine was supposed to be done by tomorrow am I doubt it ever will be. I call today and the brand new compcam double roller chain is to loose for his liking. At this point it blows up good riddance I'm done with this mess. Once it's running good chance this car leaves and I buy something else restomod with newer engine and running gear. Basically I looked at old chain and gears they were brand new. I knew someone had replaced and didnt set timing right on distributor and carb and then needed new tank they quit. I'm reusing I really don't care it's new and a double roller was stock as comp cam is junk I would not buy anything from the Edelbrock automotive alliance again. Hopefully tomorrow I get good news or it will sit at shop till I feel like going to get it.

ROFL?... I'd have to look that up..,
You're loosing your cool...
Rolling on floor laughing and I have to laugh it is what it is. I have tried to pick this up three times and he said he will call me if it's ready I won't be holding my breath.

Rolling on floor laughing and I have to laugh it is what it is. I have tried to pick this up three times and he said he will call me if it's ready I won't be holding my breath.
I went through this with my first motor.. next week next week next week I'll call you to the point where I was going to lose it and lost it several times.... It didn't help make it come to my house faster....
The good thing is it was done right and 10 years later I still enjoy that motor...

So the freaking engine was supposed to be done by tomorrow am I doubt it ever will be. I call today and the brand new compcam double roller chain is to loose for his liking. At this point it blows up good riddance I'm done with this mess. Once it's running good chance this car leaves and I buy something else restomod with newer engine and running gear. Basically I looked at old chain and gears they were brand new. I knew someone had replaced and didnt set timing right on distributor and carb and then needed new tank they quit. I'm reusing I really don't care it's new and a double roller was stock as comp cam is junk I would not buy anything from the Edelbrock automotive alliance again. Hopefully tomorrow I get good news or it will sit at shop till I feel like going to get it.
When I built the 340 engine for my Duster, I bought a new Comp timing chain set, it was junk, as loose as an old wore out chain.
Sent that garbage back.
Looked around in my stash of parts and found a MP double roller timing set, never opened still in the packaging, I must have bought it a long time ago and forgot about it. Anyway the MP chain fit so tight it was actually difficult to put on.

When I built the 340 engine for my Duster, I bought a new Comp timing chain set, it was junk, as loose as an old wore out chain.
Sent that garbage back.
Looked around in my stash of parts and found a MP double roller timing set, never opened still in the packaging, I must have bought it a long time ago and forgot about it. Anyway the MP chain fit so tight it was actually difficult to put on.
Yeah builder said the old looked brand new and it as was a really nice one. Looks brand new so we're using it will run in the tank and clean it up.

Got some better news engine is all together except rockers need a little machining. I expected they would but hey said they should be done tomorrow morning and can pick it up.

-
Back