74 Dart 360 Sport

-
Engine is finally home time to get things rolling again. Yes I ordered new valve covers I can't do it. Needs new grommets and hell no way easier new.

IMG20230415164953.jpg

IMG20230415164948.jpg

IMG20230415164944.jpg

IMG20230415154845.jpg

IMG20230415154851.jpg

Spent about half my day sorting things out. Very happy with things so far. March performance serpentine system was pretty simple actually. I have to get a new throttle cable and heater hose inlets for intake. Got my plugs installed and had to grind the back side of intake down so oil sensor would fit. Took about and 1/8 inch off and had to round it out on edge. The sensor that came with my gauge cluster is ridiculously large. Intelitronix needs to do some research and fix what they provide.

IMG20230416200800.jpg

IMG20230416184429.jpg

Keep in mind serpentine systems aren't as forgiving as V belts are as far as alignment...
If they're not laser perfect in every way they will eat belts...
If I ever do a serpentine system it will be inclusive not separate pieces with shims...

Keep in mind serpentine systems aren't as forgiving as V belts are as far as alignment...
If they're not laser perfect in every way they will eat belts...
If I ever do a serpentine system it will be inclusive not separate pieces with shims...
Yeah I'm sure once I get it all installed I will have to use an edge see what else I need to do.

Looking at it this morning I can either change out my alternator pully or I can shim it a bit. I figured I would have to not a huge issue to do so, since I used the pulley that came with the Powermaster. I would rather shim then drive all over town to have a brand new unit torn apart to change out the pulley.

Last edited:
Talked with my machinist he says he can change that pulley out fairly quick I will run up there and pay my bill and be done. Still not happy changed it out but when I put pulley up to alternator its dang near perfect. Can you hear the Mater talking its dang near perfect lol.

I took some time today updated my spreadsheet and cost lol. I won't be doing that again. I will say this is way nicer than I planned on and while still a driver it's a well equipped driver now.....

Next question should I dump the power brake booster? I have a set of manual lines and would only need a new master cylinder. I noticed that stupid lid is leaking again and will I have to change proportion valve as this is a stock disc car. Looking at vacuum options and with this intake I noticed I would have to tap and really was going to do assist pump but thinking why bother.

Last edited:
More done last night only got a few minutes out there working on our new kitchen still.

IMG20230418213434.jpg

IMG20230418213426.jpg

IMG20230415130454.jpg

Got the motor mounts sorted and bell housing was easy once I got dowels lined up. Got the top bell bolts and dropped right in. Did a lot today take a break for a few days and check things make sure I don't make any dumb mistakes.

IMG20230422184643.jpg

IMG20230422165159.jpg

Were ready to fire up I need to get fuel pump swapped maybe it appears it gave up sitting out of car dry. It was an old factory style brand new but 24 bucks Oreilly Im not using that garbage I had ordered two of them both canceled new one arrives from Quickfuel today Holley style.

IMG20230425212422.jpg

One thing I noted I went on one hell of a front end diet with heads, intake other items. I will have to drive but I get to lower her down probably close to an inch and a half. The lighter front end from engine trim is noticeable and was on the hoist as well.

One thing I noted I went on one hell of a front end diet with heads, intake other items. I will have to drive but I get to lower her down probably close to an inch and a half. The lighter front end from engine trim is noticeable and was on the hoist as well.
I did aluminum radiator, and removed power steering/power brakes and aluminum intake/headers, the 383 sits where the slant six did! It’s crazy how much the weight off of the nose make a difference.

I did aluminum radiator, and removed power steering/power brakes and aluminum intake/headers, the 383 sits where the slant six did! It’s crazy how much the weight off of the nose make a difference.
Yeah I have been looking at steering box. I saw a few say the Borgeson box is not smaller. Then I have to think would I want to lift engine pull starter just to pull box when my car came with a close ratio steering box. This steering box unlike my 73 Duster is not the same thing I cant whip the wheel with my pinky it is much firmer than that. Is it worth it thinking a buddy of mine did a 70 Mustang coil overs and all went nuts. Quote its the same car I dont see a huge difference I wasted my money. I do think the manual brake cylinder is coming from DR Diff if I decide to order.

Yeah I have been looking at steering box. I saw a few say the Borgeson box is not smaller. Then I have to think would I want to lift engine pull starter just to pull box when my car came with a close ratio steering box. This steering box unlike my 73 Duster is not the same thing I cant whip the wheel with my pinky it is much firmer than that. Is it worth it thinking a buddy of mine did a 70 Mustang coil overs and all went nuts. Quote its the same car I dont see a huge difference I wasted my money. I do think the manual brake cylinder is coming from DR Diff if I decide to order.
Stock power steering is awesome if the box is good, I would only go Borgeson out of necessity, if your headers fit with the factory stuff, leave it.

Can’t recommend Cass/Dr Diff enough, and the lightweight 15/16 master is a great upgrade.

Had issues last night way to much timing. It wants to run now pretty sure I got number one cylinder on cap off by one I'll fix that tonight just back fires few tries. Fixed distributor location that got it really trying after that enough that I don't have to help it with fuel. But old fuel pump is **** it leaked so I will put the Quick fuel on tonight and set it's pressure for lower. Puddle of gas but not defeated your supposed to find your leaks right at start and it did. 5/8 hose had a leak water pump fixed the clamp. I forgot to tighten up trans line on radiator tightened it up. This was only an hour I got car blocked wife made me go out for tacos and groceries lol! Soon and beside it flipping been raining all week I don't have my windshield in and I gotta hook up my shifter column lokar cables trans and carb. Top off trans fluid now, put in AC/PS belt and paint fender supports and gas cap. Good possibility I make May ....maybe.

Last edited:
I had an amazing day today and broke in my cam and engine could not be happier! Little leak on top hose tighten up and set timing ten degrees seemed very happy here with higher compression and big cam. Ran well temps right around 185 to 200 fans work great push plenty of air. Pleased with serpentine system and belt performance thus far.

I had an amazing day today and broke in my cam and engine could not be happier! Little leak on top hose tighten up and set timing ten degrees seemed very happy here with higher compression and big cam. Ran well temps right around 185 to 200 fans work great push plenty of air. Pleased with serpentine system and belt performance thus far.
Bad ***, congratulations man!

Installed the Lokar cables today, accelerator and kickdown. Checked and topped off rear end with 90. Pretty sure my firing order is off need to sort that out. Tightened the valve covers leaked a little. No other leaks now adjusted shift lever now goes in park as it should. Topped off the transmission fluid and radiator again. I have plenty of vacuum for power breaks so I call BS on the bigger cam no breaks not the case at all. I made sure all the old vacuum lines and rubber is all replaced. I have new valve cover to install will do that later. Rather get it all dialed in 100 percent done before I install the nice ones. Need to take AC hoses and get them finished the fittings are just stuck on there for now.

I tested the heater it's amazing lots of air moved. If AC does this well wow that will be nice! I'm ready to install hood and windshield now.

Ordered an all-star performance carb bracket. Was not happy with Lokar single bracket to many things it does not address. Also ordered new front belts.

Well can't get the timing right guess I will buy some timing tape for sure was too dead center for sure firing order is right just runs real rich and it's not a carb issue. Maybe the cam is part of the issue but I doubt it something I'm missing.

-
Back