74 Dart Stalls when in gear.

-

OwdKasd

Reaction score
Cheers: I am having trouble with my Dart.Aluminum intake , 600 Holley 4 barrel ,Billet distributor ,MSD Box , Super 2 Coil ,MSD Wires , 292-508 lift cam. Engine was rebuilt at one point and pulls strong but I don't know the internal Specs.

Problem:
It won't stay running in Drive or reverse. Even if I crank the idle up. It will try to stall just by pushing on the brakes. It stalls immediately when I put it in gear. I have a back up Booster which I'm going to try but I want to know how ineffective the brakes will be if I disconnect the booster and plug the vacuum line for test purposes. I don't want to go flying through my Garage wall or backwards into my Scamp. The Carb is a Holley 600 and I was also wondering if it should have some mechanism to "Boost" the idle when in gear. This Holley has been somewhat butchered as the Choke and various other things have been eliminated from the equation. Please steer me in the right direction. I am not really a carburetor guy and worked for years only on FI Hondas. Thanks in advance and Please Help.

Well; I Put in the booster and I'm 1/2 way there. The Idle remains constant with foot on the brakes. But She still stalls when I put Her in drive. Gonna research the Carb adjustments for Holley 600's and try to figure it out. Sure wish I had a 4 speed right now.

Here are some Pics of my Carb setup. Still Can't keep it running in Gear. Obviously Vacuum advance is not the culprit since it doesn't have one. I could crank the Idle way up but I just don't think I should have to. How does the Carby "Know" When you're in gear and to bump the Idle up??? Therein lies the answer I believe.
PICT0006-2.jpg

PICT0007-2.jpg

PICT0008-1.jpg

PICT0009-1.jpg

PICT0010-2.jpg

UPDATE: The problem may be solved! Problem is I don't really know what I did to Fix it. Here's what happened: I was Messing around trying to put her in gear and she would stall. Until....The last time she stalled....When I restarted her, she was idling way high like 1600 or so. I heard a small "backfire?". Then I slowed the Idle back down to maybe 1100 or so and popped her in gear. She stayed running and ran like a champ around my 'Hood. Man I love this Car. I hope I can keep her running like this. Meanwhile, I need to fix the Starter Solenoid/Ignition problem so I don't need to keep getting out of the car so start her. Well, Here's another Pic or 2 of My Baby> She's soon to be Black at least on the sides if not all over.
KGrHqMOKj8E3IYF5EBN8Wo-ZN8Q_3.jpg

KGrHqMOKpgE3uVlH27BN8WoneFu_3.jpg

One more quick point: this car had been sitting for quite a while when I bought it and I believe it was out of gas 'cause we had to go get 5 Gal's & dump it in the tank. Maybe some Schmutz was partially blocking the Ports or something else in the fuel delivery system. All I can do is change filter, Add Stabil and hope for the best.

nice car:)

my Duster used to stall randomly (almost like the tranny was locking up and killing the engine). It turned out to be the stock ignition control module- since you have aftermarket that probably wan't the problem. Hopefully you've got it solved now (so nice to be able to cruise without worrying about stuff like that).

nice car:)

my Duster used to stall randomly (almost like the tranny was locking up and killing the engine). It turned out to be the stock ignition control module- since you have aftermarket that probably wan't the problem. Hopefully you've got it solved now (so nice to be able to cruise without worrying about stuff like that).
So true! I really love the car just don't have the time to be chasing Phantom stalling issues. I can go over the wiring for the Ignition module and make sure everything is secure. The Red MSD box is only held in with one screw so I know I need to get that more secure.

another thing- the aftermarket electronic ignition in my Scamp (it's one of those ones with everything contained on the distributor) needs 12.6 volts to power the spark. One of my brother's barracudas with that system will actually stall if he is at a red light with the headlights on because the voltage drops just enough.
Not sure if it's possible for something like that to be happening (if, when the idle drops, the voltage is dropping to a point where the MSD is unhappy...).

another thing- the aftermarket electronic ignition in my Scamp (it's one of those ones with everything contained on the distributor) needs 12.6 volts to power the spark. One of my brother's barracudas with that system will actually stall if he is at a red light with the headlights on because the voltage drops just enough.
Not sure if it's possible for something like that to be happening (if, when the idle drops, the voltage is dropping to a point where the MSD is unhappy...).
Great Info and an easy Test with a volt meter. Thanks for the Replies.

what is the timing set it at.....

that cam has alot of duration and does not idle worth a ****.....

Not sure on the timing, Sold my light years ago. I shoulda never sold any of my tools but money was tight for a while. She's running real good now and I'm pretty sure it was some crud in the Idle circuit. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for all the great advice & tips. A few more minor tweaks and everything is good. The Cam is pretty radical so the idle is going to be what it is. She stays running now and I'm enjoying the heck out of driving her around. But, I've decided to look for something with a 4 speed. This Dart is going to make a great start for someone. I definitely want to trade with another Mopar owner.

-
Back