74 Dart w/ 340 6 pack

-
Thanks guys. I took the motor over to the dyno shop on Saturday and because of the short week it will probably get run on the dyno next Monday. I'll post up the results when I get them.

Last edited:
Alright It's Top Banana......Will be picking it up on Saturday!!!
IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

I can't wait to get this done.......

Last edited:
Hi Evildart,

Love your six pack package. I'm a 340 six packer myself. Couple of things. The original six pack carb's from Mopar in 1970 had an idle circuit which ran lean, making the motor very difficult to start, even for street applications. I have no idea whether the current carbs available act the same way. If you do have starting problems at dyno, remove the soft lead plugs on the outboard carbs and adjust needles 1/8 turn counter-clockwise.

Also, you can check whether the carb setup is still running lean or rich by placing the tip of your finger on either of the outer most idle air bleed holes (outboard carbs only). If rpm drops off, the fuel mixture is too rich. If no rpm change, fuel mixture should be close or right on.

If stock jets in center carb are 61s, they may need to be 63s for standard or 64s for automatic.

If you run into anyone who is willing to sell OEM 340 adjustable T/A rockers, I need a second set. I have one spare rocker each currently. Right now, I am purchasing T&D, T/A rocker arms with bearing anti-galling provision.

Tom

Thanks for the input Tom,
The carbs are new reproduction Holley carbs from Summit. The dyno shop that I took this to does Six Pack tuning and they are the only one in the area that do Six Pack tuning. They are very knowledgeable about them. I also went with the Pro Max system to help reduce the problems with getting the carbs balanced. As for the OEM adjustable T/A rockers that is the only set I have ever seen.

Nice color.
It looks like you are going to have a very cool car.
Keep up the good work.

Wow!
Is that color ever bright!
Looks great though.
Good build you have going there.

I have always love the Y1 Top Banana yellow. It makes it look sleek. The pictures don't even do the color justice it is Bright!!!

Front and back glass will be put in tomorrow so I had to get the dash in.
IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

Got the door handles, spoiler and the emblems back on too.
IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

Nice to see it starting to come together.....Still lots to do.

Last edited:
Well put it on the trailer and got it over to Pete's to get the motor, trans, rear end, Alterktion front end and Street-Lynx rear suspension put in. I still have lots to do to get it ready to hit the road but one step at a time.
IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

The more I see this color......WOW....is all I can say!

Last edited:
Hi Evildart,

Yes, the color is outstanding. You know what's so nice about yellow, the contrast is great with black interior, black tires and lot's of chrome. They all complement each other.

Let me know how you make out on the dyno with the Holley carbs. I would think that since these carbs were specialy made for Chrysler only, and they have known about this problem for decades, they would correct the lean circuit situation before they leave the factory. It also would be interesting on how much HP and torque you make. I hope to get my next six pack motor on the dyno this coming spring.

I have asked Comp Camps whether they would grind me a six pack "cheater" cam for stock eliminator. I have given them all the NHRA specs as they requested but still have heard no word whether its yes or no.

Tom

Went over to Pete's today. They got the front and part of the rear in and the motor is going on the dyno tomorrow. Moving right along now........
IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

I know I haven't shown my rear end off yet but it was done at Pete's a while ago (8 3/4 with a 489 case, sure grip, 3.23.)
IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

Coming along but still miles to go before I sleep........

Last edited:
Today the beast was born. It was so good to hear this at first start up.........Wife wants to know what sounds better, her at the height of passion or the motor......told her I'd have to get back to her on that one!!

Last edited:
Congrats! I can't really hear what it sounds like on These tiny laptop speakers:-(
Hope to see it cruising around the bay area some day.Awesome build Love it !

Got the frame connectors put in,
IMG_0232.JPG

Also got the upper links set for the rear end,
IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

Rims and tires came in,
IMG_0245.JPG

On the car..........Sweet,
IMG_0248.JPG

Coming along now. Not much longer now.

Last edited:
Who: ET Wheels/ Team 3 Wheels
What: E-T Classic V ( ones on the web site are gray but you can get them painted )
When:???
Where: http://www.etwheels.com/
How much: A little more than a good set of Cragars

Those wheels............They do look good!!!

Sweet project, really doing this the right way. I love the 340 six pack, been running one since 1975. In reviewing the discussion I would agree that the manifold shown looks messed up, carbs are not sitting correctly as indicated by one of the guys. I would note that it looks like you have hardened shafts under your rocker arms for the T/A heads, absolutely required and different than other 340's which utilize clam shell rockers that are hardened and run on a soft shaft. I run a T/A head set up also and found this out the hard (expensive) way, also need zinc in your oil which was another expensive lesson as it rubbed the bumps off of my bump stick. I also noted that our intake ports look stock, the factory used the same interior mold on these ports, but the relocated push rod holes allows you to remove the "bumps" from the intake ports if you want, I chose to do so and am running 400 HP on a 340 with 9.25 pistons and unleaded pump gas! Please don't forget to post data from your dyno run and pic's of it all when you are finished, they inspire the rest of us to move forward.

Thanks Mark but sad to report after really looking at the car it has some major problems with the body work. Doors don't align, trunk is unaligned, front finders are not aligned, hood does not close right.
The guy did not clear the door jams, engine bay, or the inside of the trunk lid, missed complete spots on the body.
I have someone else looking at it and telling me what it will take to get it fixed. For now this is on hold.........................

Well looks like I will be getting my car back around mid to end of February. But at least I know it will be done right...

I found out that the paint under the clear coat is not dried and is still soft...
They are saying that it might need to be striped and repainted and if that is the case I won't get it back until April.

Well it will need to be striped and repainted......... The trials of car restoration and body shops.
I'm really pissed about this but i'm trying to stay calm..........back to bare metal.

Update.......After looking at this in a couple of different ways I had the car polished and it looks better but it still has some orange peel on it and will still need to be repainted in the future. So right now I have an AAR fiberglass six pack hood that I'm getting painted and fitted. Also got them to clear the engine bay and door jams. I am going over to the shop and picking up the car on Saturday the 21st and then I'll start getting it all back together.

-
Back