74 Duster (318) ignition not working, not getting spark

-
CE-1. In your shop manual continue a few pages to the end of the diagrams. At the end of the line diagrams are some charts that show the connectors. CE is "connector engine" meaning engine bay. CI is "instrument" or Interior I forget which, Example: In the service manual AND I AM REFERRING TO A CHRSLER manual and not some Chilton/ Haynes/ whatever else........

CE1 is shown on page 8-171 and it is the coil terminals. The charts show what it looks like where it connects and gives you an approximate physical location

View attachment 1715735101

You need to find yourself a By Gawd fer real Chrysler service manual. You can get reprints either paper or "on CD/DVD" online various places

I was going to ask about this. I have a Haynes and some other manual, but they aren't factory service/shop manuals. Is it really worth the $70 to get a manual for the duster?

I hope this does not cause confusion but this is what I have in my 74. The shop manual is a necessary companion to any of the photos. I noted that a previous owner went crazy with a black spray can and this got on the wiring. So hard to tell the color on some.

View attachment 1715734998

View attachment 1715734999

View attachment 1715735000

View attachment 1715735001

Thank you again for your pics, WR Dart. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to find that other brown wire and where it is coming out of the firewall from the ignition switch. Any idea if/where a wire going to the alternator ties in near the blue wires on/off the ballast resistor?

See below. Blue wire from the alternator goes through a large connector in the engine compartment (CE37)

wiring alt 2.jpg

wiring alt.jpg

I feel sorry for your car, get all new wiring harnesses , all of it!

I feel sorry for your car, get all new wiring harnesses , all of it!

Cruze, if I threw away $700 every time I saw one problem, I'd be as dumb as you. Stop suggesting that I throw parts at a problem. It just shows how you probably farm out all the work you do on your own car instead of figuring it out yourself.

Hate to say this but thalooks ike a bulk head connector to me.

I don't farm anything out, go do your burnout , if your car will make it there.
See ya in my rear view.

Last edited:
-
Back