74 duster windshield wiper problem

-

whiteduster

Reaction score
my wiper stopped working i found out the passengers side pivot was frozen so i found a good pair from a parts car on here both move freely i also have old bushings that broke so i replaced all of them the wiper only seem to work when the i don't have the actual wipers on the car when i put the wiper on the car the motor sounds but t the linkages don't move i can move them by hand i went under the dash and moved the motor by hand with all the linkages connected and the wipers on the car they move on their own for a second then stop i hope somebody can help me with this

There is a thermal protection built into the wiper motor or switch incase wipers are frozen to the glass. There is also a electrical contact park mechanism. Test procedures are in factory service manuals. It would help to know if the wipers always stop in park position or random positions.
You say you had a frozen pivot. Those thermal protection devices cycle only a limited number of times before they fail completely.

There is a thermal protection built into the wiper motor or switch incase wipers are frozen to the glass. There is also a electrical contact park mechanism. Test procedures are in factory service manuals. It would help to know if the wipers always stop in park position or random positions.
You say you had a frozen pivot. Those thermal protection devices cycle only a limited number of times before they fail completely.
what position id the motor to move anti clock wise becuase im also changing all the wiring on my car can the motor go in reverse if you get a wrong wire at the bulkhead

Do you have a service manual? You can download the 73 at MyMopar for free. There's a lot of electrical differences between 74 and 73 so that end of the thing you better find a 74 manual

yes i got a 74 manual looking at it now says nothing about thermal protection in there

yes i got a 74 manual looking at it now says nothing about thermal protection in there
i took my wiper motor out it runs but wont take any resistens because i had a frozen pivot so something in their is stripped out so i think that's the problem thanks for some of the tips

-
Back