'74 Gold Duster, what's it worth??

-

440BelII

Reaction score
I just bought a '74 Gold Duster, 318/auto car with A/C. Car was part of an estate sale.I don't have any pics of the car because it was in a barn surrounded with clutter and I know it's tough to put a number on something without seeing it but I'll describe it the best possible. It was an Alabama car until 1985 when it was brought to New york. Then, it was driven for less than a year and it was backed into in the drivers quarter. It needs the quarter replaced, the trunk extension, and the outer wheel house and thats it. It comes with a NOS quarter panel from the dealer that the previous owner bought back when you could still get them. Other than that, the car is all original, has 71,000 miles on it and has been stored indoors since 1985.The frame and floors underneath have light surface rust, thats it. No soft spots or rot on this car at all and this car is unmolested.Just looking for a ball park idea of value. I know it's not a 360 car so , I'm not expecting big numbers. I want to keep it a original Gold Duster because I haven't seen but a few of these cars. It will be a summer driver as much as possible. let me know what you think.

sorry couldn't resist

Dr_-Evil-One-Million-Dollars.png

Without looking at prices and just off the cuff, if your planning on a full restoration of the car you will put more into the restoration than you will be able to sell the car for. If your just wondering generally the value, in it's current condition 3500 to 5500 range. Quarter panel fixed, fresh paint, clean interior 15ish maybe better depending on quality of the resto. Just my opinion. Sounds like a very cool find, good luck.

I just bought a '74 Gold Duster, 318/auto car with A/C. Car was part of an estate sale.I don't have any pics of the car because it was in a barn surrounded with clutter and I know it's tough to put a number on something without seeing it but I'll describe it the best possible. It was an Alabama car until 1985 when it was brought to New york. Then, it was driven for less than a year and it was backed into in the drivers quarter. It needs the quarter replaced, the trunk extension, and the outer wheel house and thats it. It comes with a NOS quarter panel from the dealer that the previous owner bought back when you could still get them. Other than that, the car is all original, has 71,000 miles on it and has been stored indoors since 1985.The frame and floors underneath have light surface rust, thats it. No soft spots or rot on this car at all and this car is unmolested.Just looking for a ball park idea of value. I know it's not a 360 car so , I'm not expecting big numbers. I want to keep it a original Gold Duster because I haven't seen but a few of these cars. It will be a summer driver as much as possible. let me know what you think.
Dang, that's a tough one. The first 3 words says "I just bought" It's a done deal. No matter what we say it will probably be wrong. How are we supposed to answer?

I would say honestly. It sound like he bought the car for himself, so in the end it's about the hobby and not business. Of course I've been wrong a lot before.

Well, he knows what he paid for it, maybe he just wants to hear numbers to get an idea if he overpaid or got a great deal. To the OP, what did you pay? If you don't want to say, that's ok.

Wrecked heavily in the 1/4, coming out of new York, undesirable year, 318.....I'd venture it's worth maybe 1000 tops

I know what your thinking , it's a New york car. But, being it was stored for a long time, this car is clean and rust free, not a rot box. I paid $1500 for it. I'm not looking to fix it and flip it, it's a keeper for now.The thing that I like about it is that it is all original, nothing has been hacked.The body is real nice other than the collision damage. I have someone that can fix the damage for a very reasonable price.I can do the mechanical restoration myself.Therefore, I don't plan on being upside down in this car.

It's a '74 duster. You're still going to end up upside down in the car, regardless of your plan. If you work on the car at all, you're going to end up upside down.

$1,500 is a decent price based on what you described. But $15k is the top of the market for that car in darn near showroom condition, assuming you can find someone crazy enough to buy a showroom quality '74. Full mechanical restoration without a repaint and new interior and you won't get more than $5k resale, that's it. And you'll definitely spend more than that much for a full mechanical resto. You'll spend $3,500 just in parts, no problem at all, and that's being thrifty. Drivers paint and basic interior and maybe it's $8 to $10k being optimistic, but youll spend $5k just for the driver quality paint. Full OE restoration and beautiful paint and you're to $15k-ish, but you spent a minimum $30k to get into that ballpark, that's the biggest loser of all for a '74 318 car. '74 was the highest production year for Dusters, and only the '75 and '76's are less desirable from a collector/bodystyle standpoint.

Not trying to be a downer, I own a '74 duster that wasn't hit when I bought it. I paid $2k for it. I do all my own work, so, no labor costs. And just in parts I'm in double what my car would reasonably be worth right now. Granted I'm in a bad spot at the moment since the paint isn't finished, but I know for a fact I'll never get to even with that one. I love my car, but it's not gonna ever make me money. It sure is fun though!

I know what your thinking , it's a New york car. But, being it was stored for a long time, this car is clean and rust free, not a rot box. I paid $1500 for it. I'm not looking to fix it and flip it, it's a keeper for now.The thing that I like about it is that it is all original, nothing has been hacked.The body is real nice other than the collision damage. I have someone that can fix the damage for a very reasonable price.I can do the mechanical restoration myself.Therefore, I don't plan on being upside down in this car.

1500 sounds like ya bought in at the right price... depending how bad its hit.. unless the guy is fixing it dirt cheap you'll be upside down after the quarter is fixed assuming fixed means in paint... its a 74 318 duster man.. can be a cool car just not a high value car at this time.

Thanks for sharing your price. I think you did good, I paid more for my 71 /6 gonna be clone with NO motor and NO transmission. I esp. like the names, Gold, Space, Silver, Feather, Twister. Enjoy your car!

all bout location, the same car will sell for $1000 in one state, and $3000 in another!!!! location like R/E !!?? like said, IF the car was given to you FREE, you will send more in parts than you could sell it for!?? this is a hobby, do it for the love of the car the hobby, and people you meet!
needs a qtr? you got the qtr, BUT can YOU do the work or have to pay bodyshop!?? all $$$$$$$$$
not to discourage you, but be aware of the costs in terms of $$, labor, and time away from work and family...

Again, not looking to make money on this car. I was just wondering what a ballpark value was on this car because, at least in my neck of the woods, I haven't seen one of these cars in a long time.Not only that, anytime I see a A body Mopar for sale around here, it's extremely high priced. I'm not talking about Actual musclecars, like a '69 340 Dart or '70-'71 340 Dusters , I'm talking about your run of thr mill slant 6 Darts, Dusters, Valiants,etc... Mostly in very poor condition. I figured this car at $1500 was still a good car based on the condition of it.

Again, not looking to make money on this car. I was just wondering what a ballpark value was on this car because, at least in my neck of the woods, I haven't seen one of these cars in a long time.Not only that, anytime I see a A body Mopar for sale around here, it's extremely high priced. I'm not talking about Actual musclecars, like a '69 340 Dart or '70-'71 340 Dusters , I'm talking about your run of thr mill slant 6 Darts, Dusters, Valiants,etc... Mostly in very poor condition. I figured this car at $1500 was still a good car based on the condition of it.

Oh I agree, I think you did pretty well on the purchase price. But, given the value of the car I'm still not sure you'll be able to stay "right side up" in it. '74 dusters just aren't worth much. Not that there's a problem with that, sounds like you like the car, and that's what really matters!

-
Back