74 Gold Duster (WIP)

-
Please, keep us updated..i am thinking on doing this once it gets a little cooler and less humid here.
Thanks!

2012-08-12173806.jpg

In-progress pics and bone-chilling tales of lessons learned the hard way coming soon! This was shot from the camera phone.

Brother still hasn't uploaded my pictures yet.

Took the car out today to get some miles on it. Replaced some of the lights that had blown, but that didn't fix them, for some reason. I don't really understand, because it has power at the socket, but the bulbs won't light. Lost a hubcap at one point and had to run it down. Then, it went dead for a second when I turned left into my driveway. However, as I can tell, it wasn't overheating, and cranked right back up, so... Who knows what was happening there. Gauges randomly quit working again. Replaced a blown fuse, but that didn't help. Blinkers started working for about 10 seconds during the trip. This car has some electrical gremlins, I swear.

But all in all, good day.

The bulk head connectors can get corroded over the years and cause a lot of electrical problems. Pull off electrical connectors off the firewall, spray with some Electrical Parts Cleaner available at hardware stores or Radio Shack (wear eye protection), and then put some die-electric grease in there to keep moisture out. When you put connectors back on look up under the dash and make sure no wires going into the connector are getting pushed out. If so use needle nose pliers and push them in to ensure a good connection.

Took the seat out today, learning in the process that, apparently, these cars had an electronic seat belt lock on them, and they wouldn't crank if you weren't buckled up. Thankfully, seams someone disabled that long ago. Or maybe it's just not working, like so many other of my electrical components.

Fixed the tail light that wasn't working. The prongs in the base of the socket were loose and twisted so that they weren't connecting. Fixed the rear right marker light. Bad connection. Front left needs a bulb. Took the plugs off the firewall, cleaned them put the dialectic grease on. Plugged them back in. Checked inside. Turned the key and the lights back on, and everything's working but the headlights, one of the few things that has been working the entire time. They have quit now entirely. Checked the fuses. They're all good. Checked the firewall connections again. Headlights just aren't working. Blinker works to the right, but not the left. It just lights up. Ready for the kicker? The blinker does this without the flasher plugged into the car. I realized this because I had forgotten that I had taken it out and set it on the trunk to dry in the sun. Why was it wet? That's another story.

So, there's a small oil pressure gauge that had been mounted under my dash, to the left of the steering wheel. It had never been wired completely in, so it didn't do anything. It sits directly in front of the flasher and fusebox, which just sort of hang down. We're checking the firewall connections under there, and my mother notices something dripping off the flasher. She touches it, and sees that it's green. She taps it, and antifreeze starts squirting out everywhere. From the hose. Attached to the back of the oil pressure gauge. I trace the line, and it's just been tapped into the side of the engine. I was unhappy.

So we clamped that off, and ripped the little gauge off (which had been riveted on somehow).

So, with flasher literally filled with antifreeze from the squirting hose, I just took it off to let it dry.

I don't know if the car has two flashers, if this was supposed to be where something for the headlights plugged in, or what. I am a little distraught at this point. My gauges still aren't working. I'm going to check the cluster when I pull it to replace the wiper seals. Someone said something about a voltage limiter going out and burning up the guages or something. Or perhaps it's the ground. At this point, there's no telling. I'd be tempted to pull everything out and just buy a wiring harness and start over, but with all the rust I've discovered and the fact that crusin' the coast is coming up in about 3 weeks, I'd rather not put the time in right now or at all.

Ideas, ladies and gents? Cause I'm running out of them.

-
Back