74 power wagon dream truck...

-
LOL... For paint and body work on a cab and doors??.. 10K must be East Coast prices or something...
What, are you not having the box painted ?
It takes a fair amount of work and material to do a decent job on a truck.
FWIW i took my fastback for an estimate to return it to factory turquoise .
I have the body work pretty much done and sealed with epoxy.
A shop in Lewiston quoted me 8k for a car basically ready to paint.
I will be painting my car again. lol the 3rd time will be a charm.
I've painted a few trucks and cars over the years, so here we go.............. she's already jammed

Yes I know I've seen on you boob where people were painting the outside of their cars and using almost like a 50/50 mix..
I was trying to kind of lay it thick on purpose because it's on the bottom of the truck and I just wanted to paint to be thick. LOL it did come out of there like I was spackling a wall lol... For the interior I could probably lay it a little thinner and give it more coats now that I'm a little more confident... And again everything I'm going to lay on the interior is going to get covered with some kind of generic dynomat..
Multiple thin coats are way better than one thick coat.
You have proven you can shoot paint, so why not paint the outside of the truck.

Multiple thin coats are way better than one thick coat.
You have proven you can shoot paint, so why not paint the outside of the truck.
Good gravy, then I got to learn body work first.. the painting isn't what I'm really scared of.. (actually nothing scares me but..) I guess there's so much to do I'd like to farm a couple things out...

Good gravy, then I got to learn body work first.. the painting isn't what I'm really scared of.. (actually nothing scares me but..) I guess there's so much to do I'd like to farm a couple things out...
I hear you, I had my buddy shoot my Duster, because I needed my garage space to fix my sons car, which involved a new hood, fender, door and body work on the rear door. Not his fault, the car got hit-n-run while parked in front of our house.
I never bothered to turn it in on insurance I just fixed the old car. I knew if I turned it in, it would be totaled, but I had every part to fix it but the new hood.

Got the kids car back together in a week or so, and painted it.
Worked with my son, showing him how to do the body repairs, which he did great.
When it came down to painting the car, he looked at me and said, I am leaving that part up to you.
I painted cars professionally for about 20 years, so blending the side of a daily driver is no big deal.

I hear you, I had my buddy shoot my Duster, because I needed my garage space to fix my sons car, which involved a new hood, fender, door and body work on the rear door. Not his fault, the car got hit-n-run while parked in front of our house.
I never bothered to turn it in on insurance I just fixed the old car. I knew if I turned it in, it would be totaled, but I had every part to fix it but the new hood.

Got the kids car back together in a week or so, and painted it.
Worked with my son, showing him how to do the body repairs, which he did great.
When it came down to painting the car, he looked at me and said, I am leaving that part up to you.
I painted cars professionally for about 20 years, so blending the side of a daily driver is no big deal.
Zero experience dealing body work and I've always believed that to be somebody's craft.. I put any and almost every part on and off of a car from every last nut and bolt of a transmission automatic or standard and engine suspension wiring you name it.. but that's not somebody's artistic craft...

Zero experience dealing body work and I've always believed that to be somebody's craft.. I put any and almost every part on and off of a car from every last nut and bolt of a transmission automatic or standard and engine suspension wiring you name it.. but that's not somebody's artistic craft...
You have to learn sometime, I can also spin wrenches with the best of them, but learned body work as a young teenager out of necessity living in the rust belt, the body has to be solid in order to get the yearly safety inspection.
So patching rust is a necessity. I mean most cars that are 5 years old here, have rust holes in them.
I laugh at some of the mid-western folks that get scared of what they think is a little rust, a little rust here means the vehicle is not broke in 1/2.

Doing body work and paint on your own car is about the best self satisfaction you can get.
If you can feel the curves of a women you can do body work. lol

Going back and forth with my direction...
Got enough saved to order stroker kit..
Called machine shop and they said $450 to dump it in the block I've already paid for prep on ..
Going out to put final paint on the inner floors today and tomorrow hopefully drive it and the doors to some paint shops for estimates...
I reckon I'll make a decision after that..

PXL_20210802_175144921.jpg
PXL_20210802_175153473.jpg
PXL_20210802_175157987.jpg
PXL_20210802_175218191.jpg

I got a quote to get my 63 dart sprayed up here north of the border. Inside and out, Fully prepped, in sealer with all body work done, sanded to 600grit. All he had to do was tape and spray. I was quoted 4K Cdn for just that. (Including paint). I understand you gotta pay for things, but for less than a days work (I'm including the time it will take up in the booth) that seems a little steep. after paying for paint (even at my price...shop would get it for less) that works out to over $350/hr. This is a one man shop by the way so I don't have to take into consideration multiple peoples wages.

Prices for paint have gotten stupid. I learned body work as well as a teen and have been doing it for a hobby for the last 30 years off and on (mostly off...lol). It isn't hard to learn, just go slow. Starting off you will wind up putting it on and then sanding too much off and have to do it again...lol, ask me how I know that. If you take your time you can do a really nice job and save a bundle. Prep is the biggest part. I still add more hardener than I should, just means I have to move quicker to get the putty on the car. My car is fully prepped now, just need to shoot sealer on the main body, then shoot. Due to prices I decided as this is a driver I will shoot it myself. First full paint job for me as well. As it looks from your pictures, you can definitely shoot paint, so it might be something to consider.

If this were a show car, I would ante up for the paint job. But as it will be driven regularly I am fine with an imperfection or two...lol. Besides, it'll be good practice to learn to cut and polish if I make a mistake.

Truck is looking great by the way. I also had one of my coats of epoxy go on like spackle. Luckily it was primer and I was able to sand it smooth.

I got a quote to get my 63 dart sprayed up here north of the border. Inside and out, Fully prepped, in sealer with all body work done, sanded to 600grit. All he had to do was tape and spray. I was quoted 4K Cdn for just that. (Including paint). I understand you gotta pay for things, but for less than a days work (I'm including the time it will take up in the booth) that seems a little steep. after paying for paint (even at my price...shop would get it for less) that works out to over $350/hr. This is a one man shop by the way so I don't have to take into consideration multiple peoples wages.

Prices for paint have gotten stupid. I learned body work as well as a teen and have been doing it for a hobby for the last 30 years off and on (mostly off...lol). It isn't hard to learn, just go slow. Starting off you will wind up putting it on and then sanding too much off and have to do it again...lol, ask me how I know that. If you take your time you can do a really nice job and save a bundle. Prep is the biggest part. I still add more hardener than I should, just means I have to move quicker to get the putty on the car. My car is fully prepped now, just need to shoot sealer on the main body, then shoot. Due to prices I decided as this is a driver I will shoot it myself. First full paint job for me as well. As it looks from your pictures, you can definitely shoot paint, so it might be something to consider.

If this were a show car, I would ante up for the paint job. But as it will be driven regularly I am fine with an imperfection or two...lol. Besides, it'll be good practice to learn to cut and polish if I make a mistake.

Truck is looking great by the way. I also had one of my coats of epoxy go on like spackle. Luckily it was primer and I was able to sand it smooth.
I appreciate the encouragement! There's a good chance I could try some of this. Really the body work that needs to be done on the cab is all in the rocker panels. Everything else is pretty straight just need sanding..
That paint that I laid down was just a Rust-Oleum mixed with acetone from the home depot. It's extremely forgiving..
When I get my estimates today I'll try and get them with and without body work...

I loaded up the doors in the back of the truck and put the cab on the trailer this morning and criss cross the city...
I didn't see or hear anything I liked..
Decision made..
Taking the money I've saved and ordering the stroker kit and dropping it off at the machine shop...
Going to push the cab out and clean up and reorganize my garage and then start sanding...

I'm asking you about your estimates, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
That's what two of them asked me...
First guy that I went to over in Washington that I'd take another customer's cars to said he didn't have time for it for the most part and wanted me to take it to have sandblasted before he'd touch it. And I said I'd had enough sandblasting and still I'm trying to get the sand out of the damn thing. There was Amazon prime trucks everywhere and he said he's got fleet accounts now and really isn't doing much in the way of nostalgic car repair. Basically said if I bring it back with all the body work done he'd charge 1500 to 2 Grand to shoot the cabin doors.. I SAID GOODBYE HAVE A NICE DAY.. I went on to the second guy or I was headed that way and got a text message from him that he won't be in at 10:00 a.m. like you said and he won't be in the shop till somewhere around noon. I said text me when you get there I'm going to take it to other shops.. I went to another shop and he kept asking me how much I had to spend on it.. I left him and said have a nice day.. I drove to the third shop cool Old hippie biker dude said $1,400.. problem here was when I looked at his shop he was old and had too many projects and had a nephew who he admittedly didn't know crap standing on cars from time to time. It looked like a dirty version of purgatory.. he said to call in 3 weeks I should have a nice day I'll talk to you later... I'm not taking my truck to be left there forever... When I left his place at about 1:30 in the afternoon I just gotten a text from the guy who said he'd be back at noon at 1:15. I went home and had a snack and since the truck was still on the trailer I went ahead and took the half hour drive down to his place. This was in some back alley CD multiple garage industrial hell area with tons of garages doing what looked like shotty body work. And this guy had two of those garages one with a truck and a bunch of junk and one turned into this extremely crude dirty makeshift paint booth. His first reply was how much do I want to spend and I said how much would you charge to do this cab indoors? He said 2300 but just kept going on about his own projects and his car going to Seema and all this kind of crap all of that I wasn't interested in hearing about. His ad says he does 74 and older stuff and has a $1,500 special for doing complete cars. That was $2,300 for a cab and doors when I got there. And his dad said 9 days to 2 weeks and then he was talking about 3 weeks when I got there. And then he said he had a contract that specifically said he would call me at least every 3 weeks which means it wouldn't be done in 3 weeks I just get a call in 3 weeks telling me it's not done.. I thanked them first time and finally went home and unloaded the truck... It was a long day and I can't say it was wasted because now I know it's out there and doing it myself is the only way I'm going to be happy with it...

Take your time seeing your work thus far you will be fine. I did a 73 duster and a 74 Newport at 16. Took me a year for both. My Dad was used car Manager at Faddis in Shawnee Kansas. He would come home check my work say good or your not there yet. I would get mad but I learned patience. I did metal on bottom qtrs duster and new metal on driver's under the little window from years of water on Newport. Spent two summers doing that. Drove Newport first day after paint to school I got a crowd wow man can't believe that is the old Newport. Felt pretty darn good!

Take your time seeing your work thus far you will be fine. I did a 73 duster and a 74 Newport at 16. Took me a year for both. My Dad was used car Manager at Faddis in Shawnee Kansas. He would come home check my work say good or your not there yet. I would get mad but I learned patience. I did metal on bottom qtrs duster and new metal on driver's under the little window from years of water on Newport. Spent two summers doing that. Drove Newport first day after paint to school I got a crowd wow man can't believe that is the old Newport. Felt pretty darn good!
I just need to get myself organized. I really disasterified my garage just getting the cab to this point. Again it needs to get pushed out for the afternoon while I get my garage back in order. Then I can start looking at the correct supplies I need... I've got those old rusty doors I can practice on if I want practice. Mostly that will be practice for paint..

-
Back