74 power wagon dream truck...

-
Another inch closer...
PXL_20220505_004017264.jpg
PXL_20220505_010141701.jpg

Still fighting the wanting to get hot problem... Gutted thermostat... Took off the electric fan which I actually thought was doing fine and put on a factory 7 blade with a shroud... New water pump and the newer massive oversized aluminum radiator that I inherited with the truck... Haven't really touched the carburetor so I could be lean.. definitely not getting any super gassy smell...
Timing is at 12 idle and 34 All in... Pull the number three plug today and it looked Rich if anything but just black and sooty maybe a little gray on the very tip and clean on the other ring... Put the truck really has no miles on it just a break and a few warm-ups...

Still fighting the wanting to get hot problem... Gutted thermostat... Took off the electric fan which I actually thought was doing fine and put on a factory 7 blade with a shroud... New water pump and the newer massive oversized aluminum radiator that I inherited with the truck... Haven't really touched the carburetor so I could be lean.. definitely not getting any super gassy smell...
Timing is at 12 idle and 34 All in... Pull the number three plug today and it looked Rich if anything but just black and sooty maybe a little gray on the very tip and clean on the other ring... Put the truck really has no miles on it just a break and a few warm-ups...

Not uncommon to run hot when new until the rings seat. Lots more friction.

Also might be worth upping the idle timing. I've got a car that runs great at 12 but gets hot at idle (205-210, 180 tstat).At 22 (vacuum advance straight to manifold) it idles at 180 allll day. YMMV.

Not uncommon to run hot when new until the rings seat. Lots more friction.

Also might be worth upping the idle timing. I've got a car that runs great at 12 but gets hot at idle (205-210, 180 tstat).At 22 (vacuum advance straight to manifold) it idles at 180 allll day. YMMV.
I kinda had some of this running around in my mind.. thank you for confirming with your experience..:thumbsup:....
I really haven't drove drove the truck yet..
Still a dozen little things left to do. Work has been brutal lately and I have tickets to fly and see elderly relatives soon... So it could be easily another month before I'm driving this ..
Gotta give @halfafish more time to not owe me a cheeseburger...:poke::D...

Looking ahead.
The rims I have and had painted are 16x7.. the local discount tire will only put 33s on as they are the biggest that they will allow on a 7-in rim.. I want 35s and they're saying I need a seven and a half inch rim.. I'm sure I could Cash and Carry and have a less than reputable shop put them on for me.. of course when I call the discount tire they say that they won't hold air LOL...
My wife and I were just measuring to see if it will get in the garage with 35s LOL..
We have about 6 ft 6 right now with 29s and 6 ft 11 from floor to top of door. So that would be 6'9 with 35s...

PXL_20220526_190610594.jpg
PXL_20220526_190603300.jpg

Getting closer but still have quite a bit to do before I can drive it and get a good test drive...

@halfafish .... You're lucky with gas prices now it'll cost twice as much to get to your house and back as it would to pay for a free cheeseburger and milkshake! Lol...

Man its looking good.
I will look again for that factory gas cap, I know I have it somewhere.

Finally got time to work on the power wagon.. got the gas spout in, the bed tightened down, the tail lights and connected along with the ground wire from the cab to the bed. Got the exhaust tips on the rear bumper... Put the license plates on and give it some more timing and it seemed to not want to overheat anymore. Took it for it first real test drive and found that contrary to what the shifter says high range is low range and low range is high range. The steering was quite wonky but I have a an alignment scheduled for Thursday and still need to get the rear window put in...
@halfafish You're screwed!.. LOL..

-
Back