74 power wagon dream truck...

-
I believe I saw the break problem pretty easy just backed off the back brakes. The steering problem I'm not worried about if worse case scenario buy a new steering box. But I am going to try and adjust when I have. The biggest problem is that transfer case noise that starts about 45 seems to start going away about 70 lol and it seems more unacceleration than when I let off the pedal. I'm going to try and wedge the rear end and change the pinion angle a little bit more and see if that'll do it... I've seen on one internet post for someone was saying about angling the transfer case...
Another one where a guy lowered the transmission angle a little bit...
This is one I really need help on...

I believe I saw the break problem pretty easy just backed off the back brakes. The steering problem I'm not worried about if worse case scenario buy a new steering box. But I am going to try and adjust when I have. The biggest problem is that transfer case noise that starts about 45 seems to start going away about 70 lol and it seems more unacceleration than when I let off the pedal. I'm going to try and wedge the rear end and change the pinion angle a little bit more and see if that'll do it... I've seen on one internet post for someone was saying about angling the transfer case...
Another one where a guy lowered the transmission angle a little bit...
This is one I really need help on...
On your steering box, I believe that year is a reverse - rotation box.
Dodge only used the for like 3 years 74-77. Not easy to find.

What transfer case was it again? 203, 208?
When you rebuilt it, did you find a new chain?

are your driveshafts “in-phase”?

4FE5F7CC-E62D-4217-BB09-6D2A388D2F11.png

As for your steering box, Straight Line Steering here in California can set you up with a very nice box. They are a small shop, that do excellent quality work and only use US made parts. Not your standard rebuilt steering box from the parts store.

Their website is kinda behind the times, but check them out. Give them a call. I have their box on my ‘74 W200. And one on a ‘73 Ford F-350.
Straight Line Steering Home

205.. no chain...
The front drive line doesn't even move. And the rear drive line could be the culprit and I'm going to shim it and check that...
Oh that’s right. 205 Divorced transfer case. What I’ve noticed with mine was my transfer case shifter bracket that bolts to the trans crossmember…. The bolt holes are slotted, allowing adjustment of the shifter bracket location. Mine would hang up a little, and not like to shift, I loosened the bracket and readjusted the position.

Oh that’s right. 205 Divorced transfer case. What I’ve noticed with mine was my transfer case shifter bracket that bolts to the trans crossmember…. The bolt holes are slotted, allowing adjustment of the shifter bracket location. Mine would hang up a little, and not like to shift, I loosened the bracket and readjusted the position.
I have the JB fabrication twin sticks.. so I have cables... I did put in a call to John that owns JB fabrication and after we discussed my situation first he was leaning towards the transfer case needing to be tilted a little bit but then when I mentioned to him that there's a brace on the back of it he said that maybe it right there as the case is rubber mounted and I have a solid mounted bracket going to it that someone put on it maybe causing a harmonic tuning fork type problem. So first thing I'm going to do is take that off....

So had some time off today and was able to pull that bar off the transfer case and sure enough that was it! Problem solved... I also tighten the steering box just a little bit and that solved the wandering steering...
That with loosening the back brakes a little has just about got all my gremlins so far worked out...
I figured since the bar was there that it looked like a good idea to stabilize the transfer case... Of course I sanded it painted it but nyloc grade eight nuts bolts washers for it...:mob:
PXL_20220707_225711927.jpg

Excellent! Something you might try is adding some bushings if you want to use that T-case support. I’d still like to make one for my truck.

But right now, my biggest hurdle is wheel hop. I NEED to make a set of traction bars.

Excellent! Something you might try is adding some bushings if you want to use that T-case support. I’d still like to make one for my truck.

But right now, my biggest hurdle is wheel hop. I NEED to make a set of traction bars.
I'm fine with out it.. for now I'm just kind of cruising it around.
As far as your wheel hop a lot of people would consider that a good problem with that much torque lol..

I'm fine with out it.. for now I'm just kind of cruising it around.
As far as your wheel hop a lot of people would consider that a good problem with that much torque lol..
I wanna go to the county fair and enter the truck pulls. But I can only do an exhibition run, because the blower puts me in super modified class!! LOL

traction bars came highly recommended. :)

I wanna go to the county fair and enter the truck pulls. But I can only do an exhibition run, because the blower puts me in super modified class!! LOL

traction bars came highly recommended. :)
I made a set of ladder-bars for my old ramcharger to hold the rear end down.

Dropped the truck off yesterday morning and picked it up after work today...
Had the raptor liner with the Spinnaker white pigment applied over the bottom 8 inches or so of the truck.. kind of hard to see..
PXL_20220709_232526726.jpg
PXL_20220709_232549128.jpg

@j par

how long is your Speedo cable? My speedometer doesn’t work for some reason. It’s a 2 piece unit that goes from the gauge to a little reduction box? I guess that’s what it is, then another cable goes from that to the transfer case.

id like just one long cable…

@j par

how long is your Speedo cable? My speedometer doesn’t work for some reason. It’s a 2 piece unit that goes from the gauge to a little reduction box? I guess that’s what it is, then another cable goes from that to the transfer case.

id like just one long cable…
When I went to the intellitronix gauges and they all came with the sensors so basically I screwed in a sensor and ran a ground a power and a sensor wire. I still have to calibrate it yet, but it's able to calibrate to any gear ratio or tire size...
I'm cableless...

As for your steering box, Straight Line Steering here in California can set you up with a very nice box. They are a small shop, that do excellent quality work and only use US made parts. Not your standard rebuilt steering box from the parts store.

Their website is kinda behind the times, but check them out. Give them a call. I have their box on my ‘74 W200. And one on a ‘73 Ford F-350.
Straight Line Steering Home
That is good to know of extra sources, we have Steer-n-gear in OH which also does excellent rebuilds.
I have one of their boxes on my Duster.

I need to change the box on my 47 / 74 truck, the box just developed a huge gusher leak where the plate bolts on the adjuster nut.
I am robbing the box of my 75 parts truck. I will chance a used box because I already have it.

Wow this is great glad to see the old brand new truck running around. Smart in the bed liner pigment protect all that work. I'm doing it on my Dart the bottom underside of rocker only.

For the intent of this thread the truck is pretty much done and road ready...
Although I have a decent list of things I still want to do I'm driving it and everything seems to be fairly well worked out...
Next season I want to put new windows in it front and back and new bumpers. Hopefully a receiver for towing and a few other small upgrades.. I've got some nicer inner door handles and I want to look at putting some more of the Chrome back on. Like the gutter Chrome and possibly the front and rear window...
I do have the Dodge letters for the front of the hood and of course the power wagon emblems for the hood and the club cab emblems as well. I'm not sure if I'll put them all on some of them on or none of them... Just kind of want to drive it this summer and see what it says to me...
Anyways I wanted to thank all those keeping me encouraged and I may check in here with a few little things but for the most part I should be the over and out part of the thread...
Thank you men for all your help...

Just curious, what trim level is the truck?

You did an amazing, speedy job for taking it slowly. Wish I had your drive.

That's awesome now when your out in Oklahoma get over here and help build my 360! Great news glad to here your enjoying it. I got my tags and I got car running well enough now I can get alignment done get the exhaust welded up properly while there. Plan to go visit a member on here this coming week I hope. See all his A bodies. Come up with a build plan for my engine is the hope. Really love the truck looks amazing!

That's awesome now when your out in Oklahoma get over here and help build my 360! Great news glad to here your enjoying it. I got my tags and I got car running well enough now I can get alignment done get the exhaust welded up properly while there. Plan to go visit a member on here this coming week I hope. See all his A bodies. Come up with a build plan for my engine is the hope. Really love the truck looks amazing!
Thank you! I know you have a good idea of how much work goes into it to get this far as you're doing the same...
I know member hosehead is out your way...

-
Back