74 power wagon dream truck...

-
You've done a really nice job on this truck! Pretty dang quick too.

You've done a really nice job on this truck! Pretty dang quick too.
Thank you... If I would have had money and time I could have probably done it in way less time but such as life....
I just had to do what I could until I could make more money to get to the next step...
While helping people do this on their own stuff for a living and doing it myself when I got home kind of got me burnt out for a while...
I'm paying for it now as my honey do list is way backed up!...

I can easily see how you get burned out, when I worked in an automotive repair shop for a living, the last thing I wanted to do on my own time was work on my own car, or someone else's.

Thank you... If I would have had money and time I could have probably done it in way less time but such as life....
I just had to do what I could until I could make more money to get to the next step...
While helping people do this on their own stuff for a living and doing it myself when I got home kind of got me burnt out for a while...
I'm paying for it now as my honey do list is way backed up!...
Then you need to let her do some of her own like Kitty does.

There are so many great builds in this section but this has been one of my favorites.
J-Par you’ve done an incredible job restoring that truck just like you wanted. I’m impressed and jealous at the same time.
I hope you have many years of fun with it, I have truly enjoyed this thread!

Nice job finishing the truck off Jpar. I really like how it turned out. How bout to close the thread off you do like a photo shoot and show us kind of a walk around in pictures. I know I could go back through the whole thread but it would be a good way to close it out.

I can easily see how you get burned out, when I worked in an automotive repair shop for a living, the last thing I wanted to do on my own time was work on my own car, or someone else's.
My son is a full-time mechanic and believe me I recommend not buying a car from him lol... as a matter of fact I wouldn't never buy a car from a mechanic.... The last thing they want to do when they get home is work on their car...

Then you need to let her do some of her own like Kitty does.
She does vastly more than her share! I'm the one who needs to catch up. I'm too busy playing with my trucks and cars and toys while she's taking care of the house. I'm not putting her up on the roof or am I going to let her run the power washer for 6 hours...
Let there be no mistake I couldn't no way do all this work on this truck without my wife number one helping me and number two taking care of all the house stuff so I can work on it...

There are so many great builds in this section but this has been one of my favorites.
J-Par you’ve done an incredible job restoring that truck just like you wanted. I’m impressed and jealous at the same time.
I hope you have many years of fun with it, I have truly enjoyed this thread!
Thank you! It's comments like this that keep me encouraged and moving along in the hard times when I don't want to..
Much appreciation!...

Nice job finishing the truck off Jpar. I really like how it turned out. How bout to close the thread off you do like a photo shoot and show us kind of a walk around in pictures. I know I could go back through the whole thread but it would be a good way to close it out.
Thank you!..
Right now we've been extremely busy the last couple weeks and maybe a couple more. I'm barely finding time to drive it but soon plan to. When I get it out to a car show one of these times out in the grass I'll take a bunch of pictures...

She does vastly more than her share! I'm the one who needs to catch up. I'm too busy playing with my trucks and cars and toys while she's taking care of the house. I'm not putting her up on the roof or am I going to let her run the power washer for 6 hours...
Let there be no mistake I couldn't no way do all this work on this truck without my wife number one helping me and number two taking care of all the house stuff so I can work on it...
Then quit yer playin and chop chop Hop Sing. lol

Did the first oil change today. Had about 250 mi or so on it... It looked pretty clean coming out...

Drove my truck to work and my customers dog seem to approve...
PXL_20220807_183236769.jpg

Drove out to the fairgrounds in McMinnville yesterday and we all brought our gas-powered blowers to blow off the go-kart track. One week a year it's the fairgrounds and they have the fair and they leave a fairly good mess. We just blow it off and put the barriers back and it's the go-kart track... I also brought my e-bike out for my friends to try and it was fun on the track... They were quite surprised how fast it is...
PXL_20220810_203513519.jpg

Well of course the one thing I didn't replace isn't working correctly... :rolleyes:..:BangHead:...
Going to get a new power steering box tomorrow....
New pump while I'm at it....

Who did you get your replacement box from?
Redhead gear up in Auburn Washington..
I was on my way up to Seattle for a concert last night and was able to exchange my old one. There's a $250 core charge so...
It was over $32 in taxes and only $26 to mail it without taxes but I'm installing it today so the extra five or six bucks is okay as I can get started on it. Obviously I took the day off after the concert.. not that I drink or anything but we didn't get home till 2:00 in the morning...
Anyways check out their website they seem to strive for quality work...

Well rats!!!... One thing fixed and two things broke :BangHead:.,.
Steering box is tight :thumbsup:....
Test drive going good...
Almost to friends house and idling rough in gear at lights??? Pull up to friends house and is that smoke I smell... And did I see a little smoke?????...
(Sergeant Schultz) I see nothing....???...
Go home getting hot. No problem let's just turn on ac .. NOTHING :mob:.... Windows back open..:(. Get on freeway and mega cloud of smoke behind me and cab half full of smoke....
Truck seems to be still running good not overheating...
So I get home and I have other things to do but was able to check things out last night and I believe I learned another lesson it seems like I never get old enough to do that. Don't use fuel line for PCV line LOL., I think It just got sucked closed and started puking oil out the passenger side breather...
As far as the AC I've checked all the fuses and the checked the low side pressure which it had plenty so I'm not sure on that one I got to do some more diagnostics.
For now I shoved a piece of copper tubing inside the PCV hose so it can't collapse. I'll clean up the valve cover and that area and wipe everything down and take her for another test drive and see if that was a problem which I'm pretty sure it was...
I've got a piece of tape on my steering wheel now so I can re-clock my steering wheel. It's almost upside down so that turn signals aren't canceling correctly either but I just wanted to drive it with a new steering box...

So I went ahead and got an actual 3/8 piece of copper and just use the fuel line as connectors at both ends. So then I hear a little bit of a ticking noise more than the usual solid lifters and now have the valve covers off and doing another valve adjustment. It did sound like a leak coming from the back of the carburetor but time will tell on that one. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the AC so I went ahead and pulled the horn cover off the steering wheel and manually stuck a screwdriver in there to honk the horn which was always kind of wonky. AND THE AC CAME ON!!??..
Okay that one threw me for a loop...
So what had happened was at the windshield washer bottle where it grounds to its own mounting bolt I had put the ground for the AC relay and the horn. So now it was not grounding but grounding itself through the horn? LOL.. I put some self tappers through and regrounded everything so now AC is working fine and Horn is still crappy but works. In order to do the valve adjustment I always take the plugs out to make the engine easy to turn and they were looking pretty rough and I believe it was mostly from the PCV valve... So I went up and got me plugs today and I'm going to clean everything back up and put it all back together give it a test drive and check back in....
Up until this time everything was pretty good then all hell broke loose...

Frying pan into the fire... First four of the 8 spark plugs I bought had been previously installed so I had to go get new ones and on the way up there I noticed the check engine light came on on my 98 ram and to top it all off after I get it all back together it still was making that exhaust leak kind of noise. I took the oil cap of the passenger side valve cover and could hear it predominantly and put my hand over it and could feel exhaust or air popping out of there... Call the machine shop and likely have blown the intake gasket at the exhaust crossover into the engine...

Frying pan into the fire into the sewer! 100% dead number five cylinder all others between 205 and 215 on compression check..

What size tires are those, and what lift in installed? I forgot, but that's about how I'd like my truck to sit. (Yeah, I'm too lazy to go through the whole thread)

-
Back