74 Scamp gen 3 swap help

-

Shane6073

1974 Plymouth scamp
Reaction score
Pretty new to this forum, and mopar, so bear with me. I'm am going to be doing a gen 3 5.7 swap into my scamp and I'm trying to make it as problem free as possible. I know it's not going to be very cheap. I'm overseas currently and I am trying to use my time putting together all the parts and learn as much as possible before I come back. My questions are; is there a kit that can be purchased that makes everything go smoother or does it have to be peiced together? I saw that BPE has a kit but there was no prices so I can only assume it's ridiculously expensive. Also what are the do's and do nots of the swap? What fabrication is required? I want to use the stock k member for now, and also the stock 727 (if it is possible?) if there are questions I should be asking please tell me.

Shane,
These Gen3s are great engines for a swap, but don't kid yourself into thinking it's going to be an easy swap. Our old A-body cars were never engineered for this (as factory built) engine like the late model vehicles they came out of. Therefore, it's up to you to do your homework and decide what combo you wish to use to install one in your Scamp.

Keep in mind, everybody wants to sell you their "stuff" that's supposedly designed an easy swap, but these car's manufacturing tolerances are all different from each other and the standards of each aftermarket company for "fit" of this engine is different and often compromised.

I will say, the less "sophisticated" your build, the better your build will go. Using a Torqueflite for example, will help so you're not having to deal with trans tunnel / mounting issues. Keep it simple; get it in, running and driveable and then upgrade as you wish over time. That will help keep it from being a long term project just sitting in your garage like my Cuda!

Yes the kits are expensive.

There is a multitude of decisions you need to make. If I were you I you I'd read through a number of build threads.

For example the Alterkation by Reilly Motorsports is probably the slickest way to install the Gen III Hemi. But it is also the most expensive, at roughly 5K for the kit.

At the same time there are guys who make their own mounts, hack the wiring harness, and cut apart and weld up a stock pan. So you can do this cheaper, not cheap but cheaper.

Best bang for the buck is probably a 2009 and later truck motor. 390 Horse, with header and a tune your knocking on 425.

Read, read read. For example the car motors look better, but the low mounted ac compressor interferes with the motor mount, and low mounted alternator can hit the frame rail seem.

Good luck

Thank you, I appreciate the input. I know it will not be a easy swap. But I'm committed to doing it. I have pretty good connections to a dealership so getting whatever engine I want should be a breeze. I'm more worried about fitting it in there. I'm under the understanding that the 727 will bolt straight to a 5.7 with nothing more than a flex plate. Am I wrong? Also I have seen plenty of companies put out the necessary wiring and computers for the swap. But who is the best for reliability? For now I want a stock 5.7 that will get me from A-B. Once it does that then I will start with the upgrades.

Welcome to FABO! The GenIII Hemi fits in an A-Body engine bay just fine. It's tight, but there's room. Yes, you can use a 727 with the conversion flex plate, and I think? you have to use a spacer between the block and bellhousing. I put a 5.7 Hemi out of a 2006 Wagnum in my 70 Duster. I used a 73^ spool mount V8 k frame, with TTI mounts and headers. TTI told me up front that my AC compressor would not fit. I made it fit by re-engineering the drivers side motor mount and moving the factory motor mount saddle on the k frame. Dig WAAAAY back in this GenIII forum and look at the post I made about all that. I used the Milodon pan, pickup, and windage tray. I don't have my car running yet, and I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to use a Hotwire harness, or one from Bouchillon. If you want PS on your car with a stock k frame, the Borgenson box is your only chance....and be sure to ask TTI about headers for THAT box before purchase. I ordered my headers raw, so I could beat on them if needed before I got them coated.

Attachments

• Motor mount 004.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Motor mount 006.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 264
Although I made my own harness from a factory one, I'm pretty sure it's similar to the Hotwire setup. I used a Hotwire PCM and it's been troublefree and they were great to deal with. For a stock daily driver style build I would highly reccomend this setup. My build thread is in my sig, I went the budget route if you can call it that, any questions I can help with feel free to ask!

-
Back