741 drum to drum find

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
Saw a listing for a complete 70ish 8.75 van rearend. Drum to drum 11x3 brakes, 3.91 open. Paid $175 for it. My son was looking for some 3.23's, but no matter what the cost of gearsets the local shops around here want some serious coin to swap them out. Like $300-$600. I'm going to teach myself to do this, lol with the help of articles here and YouTube. He is going to use the 3.91 set as it was so cheap. I told him he will have to get out of his car and double check to make sure it's the same car because it's going to feel like a completely different car. Lol. As he is currently running a 7.25 with 2.76 gears. Hopefully we will get the rearend swap done in the next couple weeks.

.............So you are going to narrow this yourself?............

We have a complete A-body 8.75 rearend from our 71 dart parts car to use in my sons daily driver 71 valiant, the van housing we will throw on the shelf.

The 8 3/4 out of the dart it a 2.76 gearset. He has that in his 7.25 one in the car now with 2.76 and wanted to make it a little more fun to drive with the 8 3/4 swap.

That's what we are doing. We only bought the van rearend for the 3rd member. Well, that and the 11" brake set up.

You probably don't want that brake setup on that car. That's asking for locked rear wheels, and the resulting spin.

Rear brakes are small for a reason.

Agreed. We are going to keep the 10" brakes on the dart rearend for the setup. I was just happy to have scored the larger 11" as part of the deal. Our 68 fury's are 11" rear drums, so we can shelf them until we need them or can sell them to someone else that may need them. All we are using is the 3rd member. The rest is either bonus parts or up for resale.

You probably don't want that brake setup on that car. That's asking for locked rear wheels, and the resulting spin.

Rear brakes are small for a reason.

Been running 11x3 drums on my 1970 dart for years. Have 73+ front discs with BFG radial TA tires. I've made a few panic stops to test and I've had to slam on them multiple times. They've never locked up in the rear. B and E bodies have the same brake setup as far as i know and don't have issues.

Bought a c-body 8 3/4" this week for $75. What I wanted were the 11x2 1/2" brakes. It didn't have any tags indicating gear ratio or Sure Grip. Turned out to be a 4.10 Sure Grip!

-
Back