741 gear carriers.

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I got 3 741 (actually 2 and a earlier casting 657 variant) 3rd members (for sale by the way ;-) ) and I thought the ring gear carriers were all the same, ie, the ring gear for a 741 regardless of its stock ratio would fit another 741 case. That doesnt seem to be the case here, even across the bottom 2 741's. Do I have some weirdos? Look at the ring gear carrier on all models, they are all different "depths" off the bearing, and all different shaped castings...?
HPIM1789.JPG

As complete 3rd members, they should interchange. They made a few odd-balls that look like an 8 3/4 but are actually an 8 1/4 or 8 3/8 depending on who you talk to. If one of yours is a 3.31 or 2.93 ratio out of a 6cyl B-body, it won't swap to another carrier. Bearings and seals should the the same however......

I bet they are the weird ones, and yes-top 2 are 2.93's and a 3.31 on the bottom. So What do I have? What year B? Thanks

I've found them in the '62-6 models. You can measure the ring gear to tell for sure. One of the dead giveaways is the gap between the ring gear and the case. On an 8 3/4, there is only about a 1/4" gap where there is almost a 1/2" gap on the small odd-ball ones. I found it out the hard way too. Many years ago, I found a real clean 3.31 and thought, wow! nobody I know has one of these! I'll put a sure grip unit on it and have that "missiing link" gear between a 3.23 gear and a 3.55......wrong......the 3.31 gears won't fit on the sure grip carrier. Oh, well, it would be good for the street I guess but if you need strength and sure grip, you're out of luck.

Really? Is it out of the car so you can take some photos and measurements? I wonder if it may have been an export only option.

-
Back