741 issue

-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
the first center section grabbed is a 741 case, it needed a pinion so I put one in. the problem is when I go to torque it down the yoke seal shield hit the case and before I get reach torque the pinion doesn't spin free anymore. it did prior seal change. crush sleeve problem?

First ring and pinions are matched sets. I am assuming you meant pinion bearing.
741 does not use a crush sleeve if my memory still works. They use shims. I would make sure you have the bearing races seated all the way down before going any further.
If you just replaced the bearings, did you install new races. Again, they are a matched set.
When you changed the bearings and races were there any shims that could have been left out either under the race or bearings?
Sounds like you may to set up the ring and pinion if the races are fully seated?

Last edited:
If you replaced the seal only, and left the bearing cone and pinion in the housing, then the likelihood of having a shim fall out of place are slim to none.
Is it possible you dropped or otherwise managed to shift the dust shield on the yoke, if so, move it back into position, away from the seal.
If you took the pinion out, start looking for shims .

IMG_20231115_105135.jpg

It's been my experience that those dust shields can be loose and move around when you remove the yoke. I would double check that shield. In fact, I normally remove them and throw them in the trash for that very reason.

I've known people (me) to smack the yoke with a hammer and accidentally move/bend the shield.
Once bent, they do make a great frisbee across the yard . lol
"Parasitic Weight" removal.
Not Recommended Service Procedure .

-
Back