742 clutch type sure grip

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
69 dart 8 3/4 I have 28" yukon axles and evidently I need 28 3/16' axles.

I spun the splines off the end of the right side axle. The weird part is it only took a 1/4" of spline.

Question Is there really only 7/16 worth of spline?

It looks like there is two sets of splines in the dif. How does it work?

There is alot more than 7/16" worth of spline engagement. On a 8-3/4 sure grip there are 2 sets of splines that the axle engages into. The outer being about 7/16 wide and then the inner part. Now since you've had one spin they won't be aligned so it won't be possible to install another axle without aligning them again. It's also possible they weren't aligned in the first place and that's why it only engaged into the outer gear and that happened to you.

If they weren't aligned in the first place the axle wouldn't have been able to bolt to the housing right. The wear pattern on the left side was also only 1/4".

How are the outer splines engaged.
No clue how the sure grip works.

It shouldn't have bolted to the housing if they weren't aligned unless the axle was too short. I haven't had any experience with Yukon axles but I have read you can't use stock A-body brakes with them for some reason. Don't know if that's true or not or if has an affect on your problem. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Here's a page on Moparts tech archives that shows some pics of the 2 different sure-grips and gives descriptions. The cone type is first so you have to scroll down the page a ways to the clutch type.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/13.html

I have the same question on moparts. I was hoping there would be a more detailed description of how the clutch type works.

On the dana power lock sure grip(742 clutch type) the clutch hub has around 5/8" of spline,than the axle has to aline with the side gear (spider gears) with another 5/8" of spline than against the center pin. So you have 1 1/4" of axle ingagement perside.

without the Differential Pinion Thrust Spacer I measure 28 3/8 with an 1/8 of clearance on both sides total anyone else have the same number.

I have heard on other threads of people running into Yukon axles not being long enough and not engaging enough into the inner side or spider gear. Then in turn reaping the same results as you had. i think if you running Green style bearings I would remove the thrust buttons then take a measurement from the inner cross shafts to the inner back side of the green bearings, subtract a sufficiate amount say .125 to avoid your axle from butting up against the cross shaft and have a pair made to those specs or maybe there is a Axle manufacturer that builds that size already. Oh and you need to add the distance from the back side of your Green style bearing to the back of your axle flange and include that in your axle measurement. I hope this make sense to you.

-
Back