75 valiant build, go back stock /6 or v8

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
So as most of you know I picked up a herd of 1975 Plymouth valiants. The pair of 4 door parts cars and the 2 door one. Well, the 2 door was advertised as you know with a v8 and 904 transmission. Well, I was talking with the last owner about picking up the engine from him this week and if he had the back glass. Then he mentioned that the car was an original /6 car........"wait, what". I had been under the impression it was a v8 car. So my two questions are: the two parts cars I have are 1975 /6 cars, so I use one of those for going back in the 2 door cruiser or Schumacher v8 kit and 318 or 360. Second question: does the back glass from the 4 door car work in the two door? As I have two good ones in the parts cars. My wife wants to go with the /6 to make a gas saving cruiser and paint the car 2018 dodge ruby red. Flat black dual snorkel hood scoop and black band around the back trunk and quarters.

From experience the back glass from the four door will not fit. At least it did not fit on a 73 dodge dart swinger. I do not see it working in a Plymouth Valiant either. Width should be the same but the height of the glass will be different do to the angle of the glass from a 4 door to a 2 door. With all that being said if the Valiant 2 door is a post car(sedan) it will probably work but if its a hardtop I don't think so.
Kevin

Yeah, I was afraid of it not fitting. He said he thinks, possibly his uncle has it sitting in the rafters of his garage. Fingers crossed I hope he does.

I literally can't think of one reason to go /6.
I'd go 360 4bbl rv cam and duals.

Going with the /6 will not increase value or the number of smiles...
Unless you just really love the /6 - which is cool...they have their own cool factor.

Jeff

This question is as old as the /6 it's self.

a) stick to /6 and keep car stock (or build cost to make it actually perform will equal swap to v-8)
b) swap to v-8 and enjoyment in many more ways. (accomplishment, speed, parts availability, etc.)
That's it in a nut shell. Don't waste time looking for other peoples opinions because it will be just that- "other people opinions"
You bought the car for a reason- as the boating world says, " stay the course."

Joe

I agree with moving forward with the v8. At first I was thinking about a super six. It would almost be a compromise. Almost. I am just going to have to tell the wife that if she wants it to be built and be able to be proud of it at car shows, cruise ins, etc. Its gotta be a v8. I wont go full bore big block, but a mild street daily summer driver small block. I have been saving my 72 360 for the right project. This could be the one. I hope she agrees.

Another way of looking at it:

a) Stick to the Slant Six and have something different, and experience a different set of challenges and rewards.

b) Swap to a V8 like everyone else, and enter the path more heavily travelled. Lots of benefits there.

Don't get me wrong: I like V8 A-bodies - I took my driving test in a '74 Valiant with a V8 and would love to have that one back - but I like the Slant Six that came in my '64. The early A-bodies were designed for the Slant, and it suits the cars well.

Either way, Make it your own.

Okay. New idea possibility for this build. My son and I were kicking around engine idea builds for it. As he is normally the one wanting to stay clean and original with the cars. He said, surprisingly v8. Then half jokingly said what about a hemi. Of course I don't have the budget for a 426, don't want to deal with the new computer driven ones. Then I remembered a buddy selling a '56 firedome desoto with a 331 hemi in it. He wants like $500 for the whole car. Could probably get it cheaper as he hires my son and dad to do work for him transporting hay equipment and tractors around the valley. I know not as straightforward as a Schumacher v8 conversion, but dang the cool factor.

Okay. New idea possibility for this build. My son and I were kicking around engine idea builds for it. As he is normally the one wanting to stay clean and original with the cars. He said, surprisingly v8. Then half jokingly said what about a hemi. Of course I don't have the budget for a 426, don't want to deal with the new computer driven ones. Then I remembered a buddy selling a '56 firedome desoto with a 331 hemi in it. He wants like $500 for the whole car. Could probably get it cheaper as he hires my son and dad to do work for him transporting hay equipment and tractors around the valley. I know not as straightforward as a Schumacher v8 conversion, but dang the cool factor.
The idea of a father son project FAR out weighs it all! Congradulations! Sounds like you found your path!

-
Back