750 Brawler vs 650 AVS 2 at the track, right OOTB !

-
Thanks for not always jumping on the easy way.
Just me personally...... 2 places for NOS.
  1. Serious Grudge Racer/Outlaw type
  2. Somebody that just wants to have fun with and old stock engine to see what it will take before blowing up.
I would hate to think I get 9 hits then all of a sudden my engine is down 150 hp. I'd go turbo first, and we almost did on Drag Truck. Had it all in the cart.

I could see using nitrous as one of the easiest ways to build a dual purpose car, mild daily driver that can also do quick times at the track.

I could see using nitrous as one of the easiest ways to build a dual purpose car, mild daily driver that can also do quick times at the track.
Just add cubes and a top notch custom converter and get the same thing... keep the highway gears and all. I mean, some people love NOS but it's just not me now or in my past. Could I change my mind? I doubt it.. but one never knows

Just add cubes and a top notch custom converter and get the same thing... keep the highway gears and all. I mean, some people love NOS but it's just not me now or in my past. Could I change my mind? I doubt it.. but one never knows
I'd definitely would enjoy your progress less if you just slapped a Nos bottle and called it a day.

Did you notice any driveability difference between the two carbs? one more response part/full throttle? etc..

Did you notice any driveability difference between the two carbs? one more response part/full throttle? etc..
well, I only went from the pits to the staging lanes.... But, as I said at the end of the video, the Brawler was flawless. The AVS was a little hard to start once it sat for about 15 minutes, and it died once after a burnout.

well, I only went from the pits to the staging lanes.... But, as I said at the end of the video, the Brawler was flawless. The AVS was a little hard to start once it sat for about 15 minutes, and it died once after a burnout.
True, might be a good idea for a video carb drivability mileage etc.. shootout, probably very little difference in the end though.

Wait what.......The smaller carb didn't kill the top end............Who'd a thunk it.

I wonder if a spacer from cool carb would solve the issue

Screenshot_20230504-092629_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wait what.......The smaller carb didn't kill the top end............Who'd a thunk it.

And yet, he didn’t look at a plug, didn’t pull both carbs down and look at the tune up.

I have two Brawlers in the shop right now and I’m not sure how many I’ve done but not ONE even had a remotely close tune up. In fact, I’ve done several sets of them for tunnel rams and 2 exact same carbs with the exact same part number didn’t have the same tune up in them.

Im not being critical of 318’s testing. I get it. But it’s hard for me to believe that Brawler is even close to being right. There is more in it I believe.

And yet, he didn’t look at a plug, didn’t pull both carbs down and look at the tune up.

I have two Brawlers in the shop right now and I’m not sure how many I’ve done but not ONE even had a remotely close tune up. In fact, I’ve done several sets of them for tunnel rams and 2 exact same carbs with the exact same part number didn’t have the same tune up in them.

Im not being critical of 318’s testing. I get it. But it’s hard for me to believe that Brawler is even close to being right. There is more in it I believe.
I did look into the bowls of each at home to make sure nothing foreign was in either carb and all components (like jetting) were there to be sure neither carb would cause havoc on my engine. Then reassembled exactly as they were. The whole point of the test was "out of the box". I was clear that neither carb was tuned for "my" car. I will say, I was surprised that 2 different style of carbs rated at different CFM's right out of the box would run within a 100th of each other. That to me was more stunning than anything else from this test.

Last edited:

Keep in mind, that "most" (not all) people would say my car's set up would favor the AVS.
3.23 gears, factory stock converter, very small cam and low compression 360 C.I. engine would favor the 650 AVS over the 750 DP.

The whole point of the test was "out of the box". I was clear that neither carb was tuned for "my" car. I will say, I was surprised that 2 different style of carbs rated at different CFM's right out of the box would run within a 100th of each other. That to me was more stunning than anything else from this test.

I'm curious how the venturi and throttle bore sizes of both carbs compare.

Keep in mind, that "most" (not all) people would say my car's set up would favor the AVS.
3.23 gears, factory stock converter, very small cam and low compression 360 C.I. engine would favor the 650 AVS over the 750 DP.
Most people would also be wrong
they also cant tune a dp
the brawler tuned you might have a traction issue

I will say, though, both carbs were very clean out the back, sounded clean under WOT, and smelled clean. Nothing detectable by a walk-around or by watching or by driving the car.

Not sure on that.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the venturi and throttle bore specs of both carbs.

The venturis on the 750 Brawler are 1.38" on all corners and the throttle bores are 1-11/16" (or 1.6875").
The venturis on the 650 AVS2 are 1.19" primary and 1.63" sec. Throttle bores are 1.40" pri and 1.75" sec.

After some quick math, the Edelbrock 650 actually has a larger total venturi area at 6.40 sq. inch vs 5.98 sq. inch for the Brawler 750, whereas the Brawler has a larger total throttle bore area at 8.95 sq. inch vs 7.89 sq inch for the AVS2.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the venturi and throttle bore specs of both carbs.

The venturis on the 750 Brawler are 1.38" on all corners and the throttle bores are 1-11/16" (or 1.6875").
The venturis on the 650 AVS2 are 1.19" primary and 1.63" sec. Throttle bores are 1.40" pri and 1.75" sec.

After some quick math, the Edelbrock 650 actually has a larger total venturi area at 6.40 sq. inch vs 5.98 sq. inch for the Brawler 750, whereas the Brawler has a larger total throttle bore area at 8.95 sq. inch vs 7.89 sq inch for the AVS2.
Thanks for looking that up !!! The real story is venturi size in my opinion. This is why, in my opinion, CFM ratings are just bill board yaking.

I will say, I was surprised that 2 different style of carbs rated at different CFM's right out of the box would run within a 100th of each other. That to me was more stunning than anything else from this test.
I think they probably try to make it run ootb with the type of engines they feel the buyers most likely won't tune for. My guess most of this carb sizing crap comes down to guy's not or poorly tuning.

I think they probably try to make it run ootb with the type of engines they feel the buyers most likely won't tune for. My guess most of this carb sizing crap comes down to guy's not or poorly tuning.
It was sure a blast doing the test!!!

Are you surprised? Irrespective that's a large difference in available airflow.
It did not. It also did not help the 60 ft time nor the overall ET either
Best MPH isn't it always quoted as the power the engine is making so.....

Did you factor in booster restriction in your calcs? If you have ever pulled down a Carter/Eddie carb and looked at the booster and compared it to a Holley downleg you would understand what I'm talking about. Add to that the fact that the primary booster in the AVS is annular in design then its even more restrictive again.

Are you surprised? Irrespective that's a large difference in available airflow.

Best MPH isn't it always quoted as the power the engine is making so.....

Did you factor in booster restriction in your calcs? If you have ever pulled down a Carter/Eddie carb and looked at the booster and compared it to a Holley downleg you would understand what I'm talking about. Add to that the fact that the primary booster in the AVS is annular in design then its even more restrictive again.
It didn't matter to me which carb did what. To me, it was a fun little test and a great day at the track. Yes, MPH is a HP indicator but with the wind I thought the cars MPH might move a little. Still, the AVS did go over 105 two of the three runs, and the Brawler on it's two passes was just under 105. Also, I did not play any shift point games, because I didn't have time (passes). All passes were at 5,000 rpms, all launches were the same AFTER the first initial launch to test how the car would bite after losing 80 lbs over the axle.

Nope. I was just curious about venturi and butterfly sizes of the two because carburetor cfm ratings don't mean squat.

-
Back