750 cfm carb on a 318

-

iw378

Reaction score
Do any of you guys run a 750 cfm carb on a 318 ? The reason I am asking is that I have a holley 600 now. I pulled my heads off a couple weeks ago because I had a bad exhaust valve
and low and behold my heads have 1.88 intake valves (675 heads). Had a valve job done and now re tuning. I am now at 69 jets in the 600 and it seems to want more. Is a bigger carb in order ?

If your making 400 plus horsepower and squeezing every additional hp is important to you.

Could use a vacuum gauge to check

A little large, for a teener, but
If you already own the 750, install it ,spend a couple of days tuning it, to satisfy your curiosity; then put the 600 back on. But I wouldn't rush out to get one.
A 650DP? Well,now you're talkin. Ilove DPs.
You might need a side of gears to go with that.

Large jet sizes are an indicator the carb is too big. If you're way above what the carb came with originally (factory jetting) then the carb you have is already a little big. Not saying you can't run a 750, but I'd stick with a vacuum secondary unit since they tend to "size" themselves to the engine they're bolted to.

That said, I don't think you'll gain much, if anything. The little hp you might gain wouldn't be worth the loss of driveability IMO.

Been there done that.

I've done it with 360 heads and a 340 cam, but it wasn't necessary. It ran good, performed good, but I ended up running a cast intake and thermoquad....

-
Back