750 cfm carter competition on a 360

-

69wacuda

Handling, and a 500ci engine.... All in good time!
Reaction score
I have a Carter competition 750cfm carburetor with mechanical secondaries, and a 360 bored .30 over, moderate purple cam estimated 300hp. Automatic a518 trans, 3.55 and 4.10 gears (3.55 currently in the car).

The car is 100% street rodder, is this carb to much for my setup?
Would vacuum secondaries be better because it's a street car?

What are your thoughts on a setup?

Also, my car falls flat on its face when I take off from idle. a couple of times it completely died.

I think Maybe a 600 would do you better with vacuum secondary's. don't know what manifold you have but from my experience with mechanical secondary's need a taller manifold to really mix properly. But that's just me.

I think Maybe a 600 would do you better with vacuum secondary's. don't know what manifold you have but from my experience with mechanical secondary's need a taller manifold to really mix properly. But that's just me.

I have an Edelbrock performer with a 1" spacer between the carb and manifold. I was thinking of going to the Torker II Manifold?

Torker II is not gonna help the low-end situation. I don't remember for certain, but seems to me some of the guys have "had trouble" with the 750's. Try to get Crackedback 's attention on this

750 is NOT too large for that engine, strictly in terms of size

Where is your initial timing, and what do you have for an advance curve?

Truly the problem here is you haven't a clue about how a Carter works.

I have a Carter competition 750cfm carburetor with mechanical secondaries, and a 360 bored .30 over, moderate purple cam estimated 300hp. Automatic a518 trans, 3.55 and 4.10 gears (3.55 currently in the car).

The car is 100% street rodder, is this carb to much for my setup?
Would vacuum secondaries be better because it's a street car?

What are your thoughts on a setup?

With the car falling on its face you'll need to address the timing a d the pumpshot of the carb. What hurts us helping here is a lack of description on the Purple cam.

Where is your initial timing set at?
What hole is the pumpshot arm in?
What size squirter is on the carb?

If you can get it to act right with the 3.55's, it'll be extra sweet with the 4.10's.
Do not go to the TorkerII.
All Carter's are a mechanical secondary design but have the counter weighted air door that is velocity activated. This acts as a vacuum secondary and your pumpshot must cover this (probably early) opening of the air door.

That Carter (or Eddy) has so many adjustments, you should be able to get it to where you can bend the floor board with the gas pedal without hesitation.

Sorry, after re-reading my post I forgot to mention that you will most likely be very happy with a 600 on top.

I believe my timing is set to 7-8 degrees initial. the pump shot was in the top (of the three) holes and I moved it down to the second hole which seemed to help it quite a bit. The engine was built before I purchased the car but, I have the number of the machinist who built it. I will call him today and get info on the exact cam numbers.

Also I had the carb rebuilt last year by a local mechanic (not a carb guy), who owed me some work. I was a little disconcerted when I saw that he was spending twice as much time looking at the instructions then he did actually rebuilding the carb.

I have found a guy who is the head automotive instructor at the college here in my town who loves mopars and says he is a "carter" carb guy. He is going to go through it and make sure everything is set correctly.

Just to make sure it is the carb I say it is I looked up the number on the front (9755S 0919)

Attachments

• 2013-07-18 07.35.09.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 228
the car runs and start well the rest of the time. which leads me to believe that falling on its face is something to do with the carb and not the timing, but then again this is my first project and I have to remind myself I really don't know much and have to rely on the info I get from you guys.

Thanks for the help thus far, I get a little frustrated sometimes.:banghead:

-
Back