750 Eddy on 318?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I am building my Duster up. It is a bone stock, all the way to the exhaust 318.

It is my intention to build a 360 over this coming winter where I think I could use the carb.

Currently I would like to use the 750 on my bone stock 318. It would be mounted on a Holley Street Dominator. It will have a set of headers with a large exhaust in preparation for next year. The only other thing is a set of gears most likely.

Is it possible to run the 750 on the Duster with the 318? What is the likely outcome as far as drivability, fuel mileage and performance?

Thank you for your help as always, ROB

I think a 750 may be a little over kill for the stock 318. Your best bet would be 600-650 CFM, to make a better overall balance....(this is where the saying bigger is not always better comes into play). I'm sure you will get a better explanation/comments about what would be better for your 318. :salut:

Yeah I know the CFM is way overkill. I'm just on a budget for this project and was not wanting to buy another carb but I may have to.

Thanks for the reply, ROB

You'll more than likely have the following by doing what you ask;

Poor throttle response, hard time tuning, poor gas mileage, crap drivabilty.

Gather your parts in a corner and wait until the 360 is done. Don't bother putting them on the 318. You'll probably be unhappy about it and will have to clean them up before you re-use them on the 360, (Cleaning gasket surfaces again and the like....)

Well......I know and knew you were right. Maybe I'll stick with the exhaust or find a 600 Holley for the summer or something. I don't need a bad running Duster. It runs real good right now. Strangely so...

Living 20 miles from anything means I have to get at least decent MPG or it isn't going to work.

Thank you, ROB

All so if the intake is a single plane it will make the drivability issues that much worse.

BTW, I went to the Holly web page and the only Street Dominator listed for a mopar is for a big block and it's a single plane.

dgc333 said:
All so if the intake is a single plane it will make the drivability issues that much worse.

BTW, I went to the Holly web page and the only Street Dominator listed for a mopar is for a big block and it's a single plane.

"Agreed" big time...I'm running a "free" single plane Edelbrock (and it sucks big time) for my 273. I seem to have "no" bottom torque...IE the off idle excellent responce we all want. I was told with my build to gash and change the intake and I would see much "greater" results and a nicely balanced motor for a 273, even good enough to do good tire damage.... LOL :thumblef:

I do have a thermoquad on a factory cast intake. Maybe I need to go that route altogether.

Mileage and power....I will think about it.

Being pragmatic I was going to run what I brung so to speak, but that may not be the best idea in retrospect.

ROB

IMO a 750 is almost overkill on all but the most race oriented small block, even a 360. a 600cfm carb will run REAL good on a stockish bigblock, so I say find a good 650dp and jet up. Easier to tune and can be used on the 318 if you really want to but I do agree to stash your parts and do it all at once.

-
Back