76 Aspen Disc brakes

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
what front disc parts will work on our A bodys from this car.
20200123_153906-jpg.jpg

All of it? F body brake spindles are slightly taller than A's but are reported to work fine.

Purt near everything. Get the rear end too. But be careful under that junk. Support it better. We don't need to lose you. That would suck.

Yep everything from the spindle out.

Leave the Upper and lower arms and lower ball joints behind, those wont work.

Use everything for the disc brake setup. It just sucks you leave your completely restored car parked in a bad spot for 15 mins and look what happens

I think the lockups started in 79. Maybe 78.
It does have a big bolt pattern 7 1/4

I custom ordered a 1978 LeBaron Medallion with a 318 in the spring of 1978. First year for the lockup 904. Chrysler must've been in bad shspe back then because the car was delivered to the dealer in 10 days. That's calendar days, not work days!

Anyway, After awhile I realized something was amiss as the car would shudder when it locked up in third gear. Researched it and found there was a TSB about this with a kit P/N. I bought the kit and installed it myself cause I also put a mild shift kit in it. The kit included a heavier spring that raised the lockup point to a higher MPH. Much better after that.

Another funny thing is there was a front end rattle when going over bumps. Took it back to the dealer right away and they installed the driver side brake shield bolts that the factory left out. It was just banging around unrestrained.

M bodies got lock ups for sure...and they are easy to spot.
but I never saw one in an F body (had about 40 of them)

I think the lockups started in 79. Maybe 78.
It does have a big bolt pattern 7 1/4

All F's and M's were big bolt.
best part of that rear is the brakes.

M bodies got lock ups for sure...and they are easy to spot.
but I never saw one in an F body (had about 40 of them)

All F's and M's were big bolt.
best part of that rear is the brakes.
I just pulled the front disc and the grill today. Nothin left on it I want to mess with.

what year Aspen?
A good 78-9 grill is an easy sale...76-7 not as much...

It's a 76. Got it sold already. Pending shipping. I think I'll have more in the crate than I got for the grill.:thankyou::lol:

For a drum to disc brake swap They will fit all 1962 -1976 A when using big ball joint upper arms, and 73-76 disc brake lower ball joints.

And also fit 66-72 B body
And 70-72 E body

Both of those have the K772 BBJ upper arm. Not sure which lower ball joint those need.

Also an FYI, the 63-76 A body with SBP 4 wheel drum brakes, yes these animals do exist. If they are a 10" finned front drum setup on 73-76 A body, the upper arms are the BBJ arms. I grabbed 2 sets this way out of the wrecking yard because everybody else passed on em thinking they were small ball joint arms.

Hope this helps
Matt

Last edited:
What ball joints do these F body brakes take to fit them on a 67-72 or 73 up A body ? Will a 73 LBJ bolt on this spindle ? Thanks
20200207_162902.jpg

Last edited:
Just bolted a set of f body discs to my dart on Sunday. I haven’t plumbed it yet but it took about 30 minutes to do each side.

If 67-72 and using 73 up brakes, mount the caliper to the rear to clear a sway bar, and a pair of 1969 camaro front disc brake flex hoses is the right length to work, and will work with the banjo bolt on 73-76 A body calipers. FMJ body calipers the banjo bolt and fitting are located differently than the A body calipers

-
Back