77’ 440 rebuild

-
yeah that ignition will work, if your going to run a 4150 style carb you can never have enough fuel pump but in the case of a fairly tame 440 for going to dairy queen with your wife I'm sure you could get away with a performance fuel pump that runs off the cam.
It's much easier than redoing the fuel system to run a electric fuel pump.
I agree. No need For an electric fuel pump. My 66 coronet ran great with a tunnel ram, two 600 carbs, 5/16 line and a stock replacement pump. It eventually went bad after 14 yrs and I put in a good performance mechanical pump.

I agree. No need For an electric fuel pump. My 66 coronet ran great with a tunnel ram, two 600 carbs, 5/16 line and a stock replacement pump. It eventually went bad after 14 yrs and I put in a good performance mechanical pump.
Good to know thank you

With that mild of build don't be surprised if the ricers spank your ***. That's a 375 hp build. Lots off ricers run high 12s with mods.

With that mild of build don't be surprised if the ricers spank your ***. That's a 375 hp build. Lots off ricers run high 12s with mods.
Alot of bone stock n/a imports run pretty close to the same et as our favorite muscle cars with less than half the engine.
I'm pretty sure my wifes 1.6 corrola would make many stock small block and definitely a 440 dart
If the dart has a street tire lol it would be lost in it's own smoke show.
If you're going to build old cast iron for fun might as well make it really fun.

I don't like it, but it's a fact. Some of them imports are no joke.
Not that it's an everyday important but a dude brought his Nissan GT-R to the track last year...about 10 miles on the odometer and didn't even know how to drive the thing and ran a 10.80 at 135 , the thing jumped off the line, sat there for a .5 second then took off again. Now he consistently run 10.20s and I don't think anything is modified not even tires

A stock 2020 Nissan GT-R NISMO, Runs 11.20's, so if he's running 10.20'S he heavily moded. Also the GT-R Nismo is $200k.

Regardless, no import will ever be as cool as even a slant 6 A body.

Regardless, no import will ever be as cool as even a slant 6 A body.
True that, never ever ever ever, I'm drawing the line at 2 door though. My favorite imports were all badged dodge and Chrysler though

Just out of curiosity, $ wise, what is the budget for this engine build?

Along with the above post.......

Step 1- determine the budget for the engine.

Step 2- come up with a plan to get the desired result, within the planned budget.

Sometimes the budget and goals aren’t on the same page, and the goals need to be scaled back.......or the budget needs to be increased.

Then, you also need to figure out whatever mods to car will be necessary to accommodate the planned engine build.

What your skill set is, and how much work will be farmed out vs how much will be done yourself can have a huge impact on the bottom line.

Keep what you have, just make sure your compression is around 10 to 1. 452"s are like 906 but they have hardened valve seat.
If I was you I wouldn't waste your time on cast iron heads you can buy a new set of aluminum heads save a lot of weight add some more usable power for not much more than you're going to sink into an old set of cast iron heads get a set of stealth heads from 440 source they work pretty good out of the box ready to go

Along with the above post.......

Step 1- determine the budget for the engine.

Step 2- come up with a plan to get the desired result, within the planned budget.

Sometimes the budget and goals aren’t on the same page, and the goals need to be scaled back.......or the budget needs to be increased.

Then, you also need to figure out whatever mods to car will be necessary to accommodate the planned engine build.

What your skill set is, and how much work will be farmed out vs how much will be done yourself can have a huge impact on the bottom line.
Thank you I’ll start planning ahead more and doing the math

If I was you I wouldn't waste your time on cast iron heads you can buy a new set of aluminum heads save a lot of weight add some more usable power for not much more than you're going to sink into an old set of cast iron heads get a set of stealth heads from 440 source they work pretty good out of the box ready to go
Okay thanks! Which aluminum heads would you recommend?

Okay thanks! Which aluminum heads would you recommend?
For just Street use get the trick flow 240s and be done with it otherwise you get into big bucks don't buy any generic brand ones I know 440 source sells when they called the stealth head it's pretty decent for a very low price as well don't mess around with cast iron heads they're boat anchors and an expense that don't make any power or any point those days are gone

-
Back