79 Little Red Express (Not Mine)

-
To be fair, the trucks were exempt back then from the car's emission regs, and Dodge took advantage of it and spanked everyone big time!
A brilliant move by Dodge at the time.............
I don't remember what smog junk was on them, I'm pretty sure they didn't have cat cons. But they still had the same low compression, small intake valve, no cam lo-po motor.
Don't mind me, I just hate the mid 70's, late 70's "muscle cars".

I don't remember what smog junk was on them, I'm pretty sure they didn't have cat cons. But they still had the same low compression, small intake valve, no cam lo-po motor.
All the more reason to have one that looks stock but has the engine built for performance. Nobody will expect you to put down 400 hp out of one of those trucks.

One sold on Barret Jackson today. I don't know what it sold for.

78 no cats, 79 had cats..

the EH1 360 ran nice.. double roller chain, big thermoquad, 727 with factory shift kit and a 3.55 gear. little tuning got them into the high 14's at the track..

They have a modiflied E58 360 that uses the 340 camshaft and a windage tray. They weigh over 4000 pound.
There was 1 built with a 440. I believe 3 were built in 1980 that went to Canada.

The TA Challanger and the 78 Lil Red were the only 2 vehicles that had different size tires from the front to the rear until the Prowler.

I bought my wife one a 78 for our third wedding anniversary it has 68000 miles on it we've been married almost 29 years now. it's sitting in the barn out of the weather at the moment.

Last edited:
That looks like a local one to me. If it’s a same one I question it’s originally.
I don't know Joe? There was a big thread on it over at Moparts several years ago, so I saved the pictures. I might not use them for a concourse restoration, but just a visual guide to what should orshouldn't be there.

They have the E58 360 that uses the 340 camshaft and windage tray.

actually the motor was called a EH1 in the truck.. the 340 cam is highly debated. man say it was a 340 cam and many say it was just a regular production 360 cam. also had a double roller timing chain in them..

no matter what was in the motor they ran good when tuned right.. mine was fun but at the time i wanted it a lot faster. today i'd leave it pretty stockish and stick a OD trans in it..:)

here is my original paint LRE. i put different wood on it because the stock stuff was trashed. the guy who bought it totally restored it and had it at carlisle a few years ago.. its nice to know it went to a good home.

joes truck 2.jpg

truck back pass.jpg

truck dash.jpg

truck drivers.jpg

truck interior 2.jpg

I apologize. There were two little red expresses built with 440s not one like I said earlier.
440-red.jpg

All the literature says that they came with a 9 1/4 Sure Grip rear end with 355 gears. but the one that we have came with 355 gears but not with a Sure Grip and it is the original axle.
b7f0b512-d8b0-a43e-0000-016104309a3c

Last edited:
I apologize. There were two little red expresses built with 440s not one like I said earlier.
View attachment 1715131456

All the literature says that they came with a 9 1/4 Sure Grip rear end with 355 gears. but the one that we have came with 355 gears but not with a Sure Grip and it is the original axle.

everything i've read says they came with 9 1/4 rear with 3.55 gears and open carrier. mine had a sure grip but the previous owner put that in.

trans also had a factory shift improver kit of some sort in it too..

they also originally wanted to go with W2 heads on the 78 trucks.. never happened though.. prototype also had no heat shields on the stacks.. a couple bigwigs burnt themselves on them and forced them to put heat shields on..

Was just reading where suregrip was an option.
Also read that the only W2 equipt 1 went to Walker Evans and has not been seen since.

w2 one was a prototype.. who knows what ever happened to it..

like i said everything i know from my truck and friends that have/had them and read on numerous sites and articles said that the the 3.55 was open.. i'm sure you could have had a suregrip installed at the dealer. from what i remember pretty much the only options were red or black int, bench or bucket seats and a/c. but a dealer could add anything they wanted i guess..

When catalytic converters came around in '75 any truck under 6000 gvw had to have one, which lead to a lot of trucks with gvw ratings just slightly over 6000. Starting in '79 it got bumped up to 8500 gvw.

In '76 the fastest vehicle was a Chevy half ton short bed with a 454.

9 1/4" with 3.55 open gears in mine. Joe, I sold mine to a buddy and used the money to partially pay expenses while at college. When I saw it next it was a rusted mess and brought a tear to my eye. I wish I had a saved a picture of it somewhere.

9 1/4" with 3.55 open gears in mine. Joe, I sold mine to a buddy and used the money to partially pay expenses while at college. When I saw it next it was a rusted mess and brought a tear to my eye. I wish I had a saved a picture of it somewhere.
The only tear I pulled back is when I seen my very first 72 Duster go around the corner on a flatbed headed out of state. I had to make a quick run for the house! LOL at that time in my life I didn't need no fancy car to pick up women, I needed a truck to load up my crap and get away from them! LOL it didn't have nothing to do with college tuition but I was getting an education non the less! LOL

-
Back