8 1/4" on an Early A, What wheels are you using?

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
Hey I am getting ready to swap to LBP all the way around. I am putting on an 8 1/4 rear. My understanding that the measurement back plate to back plate is around 2" shorter so 1" each
side then the stock 7 1/4 I have on there now.

What wheels and BS are you guys using?

I currently have 5.5 rallyes on my 7 1/4 rear with 215-60-R14 and I probably only have an inch of room from tire to leaf spring. but have considerably more room (2") front the front of tire to quarter panel.

Thanks guys
Joel

i don't think an abody 8 1/4 is 2" narrower then a abody 7 1/4. if anything going big bolt usually widens the rear a hair but no where near 2".

when i had my valiant i used to run a standard 15x6 or 15x7 rim and also ran 14x5.5 rallys with no issue.. i know you can go 17x7 with 4.25 nackspace easily on an early abody.

My 75 Dart will fit 275-60-15s on 7" Magnum 500s. What ever stock backspace is, I think 4.5". The 15 x 8 won't fit without a spacer or the tires rub the springs.

i don't think an abody 8 1/4 is 2" narrower then a abody 7 1/4. if anything going big bolt usually widens the rear a hair but no where near 2".

Good to know, I need to go back and physically measure both rear ends to verify what I read in the book I have.

Yes, I'm also running 15x8s with 225/50s up front too. That's with PST drop spindles and disk brake conversion.

measuring to the backing plate is not accurate because of the differences in the backing plate dimensions. some backing plates had "offset" to account for various brake setups, ie; different width and diameter drums. Note that most 7 1/4 rears had narrow brake shoes and the 8 1/4 had wider brake shoes. I would measure to the axle mounting flange to get a more correct idea of what your dealing with.

Heres a few I just snapped. Better views.

I've got the adjustable front spring perches currently on the higher position. Probably gonna drop it down and see if I can dial out some of that rake...

-
Back