8 1/4 or 8 3/4?

-

soaddrummer

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 340 scamp stock rear and looking to upgrade. Has 340 with rpm eddy heads 800 ffm eddy carb air gap intake 3000 stall 727. It's a cruiser not a drag by any means and am looking to upgrade th rear. I haves 8 3/4 housing no gears. I found a 8 1/4 323 with posi for $400 complete drum to drum from a 73 dart my question is would it be better and cheaper to buy the complete 8 1/4 and sell the 8 3/4 housing or built the 8 3/4 ? Any ideas thanks guys

Build the 8 3/4,save time and money.If you ever do add some sticky tires in the future,you,ll be glad you did the 8 3/4 upgrade.

8-3/4 is gonna cost around $1000 to build,more than that if you don't have brake drums and hardware. The a 8-1/4 is fine for cruising. I would get that 8-1/4 and slowly build the 8-3/4 if cost is a issue. Otherwise build the 8-3/4. I personally couldn't afford a 8-3/4 a-body housing (going for $6-800 in my area if you can even find em) plus the cost to go through it. The 8-1/4 is a good rear end for the money and will hold up fine. It's whatever your wallet can afford.

I built a. complete 8 3/4 for my Dart Sport for right around 600. That includes buying the housing, used clutch type suregrip, new ring and pinion and all new bearings and seals.

I went through the suregrip to clean and inspect, welded on a back brace which I fabricated myself and added all new parts.

The key was being patient and buying parts on sale etc then when I had everything together I spent the winter months putting it together.

8.75 the whole way. However have to though about buying a 70 or earlier b body 8.75?

the 8 1/4 is big bolt. not sure what your car is. the 8 3/4 is small bolt unless you already have big bolt axles for it..

money wise you'll be ahead buying the 8 1/4 throwing it in and selling the 8 3/4. that being said if it were me i'd spend the money on the 8 3/4. i just like them better. the 8 1/4 should hold up fine for you and your useage.

-
Back