8 1/4" Question

-
My car is a 3 speed automatic, and I have heard of 2.76 ratios. Which would make sense for what was a fuel efficient car. Does anyone else have any input?

i know the 2.76 was a ratio...the 7 1/4 i pulled out of my dart had that also i know there was a 2.94 as well...i had a 76 aspen with a 2.94 8 1/4 rear...ill have to look but i have an old a$$ manual with the housing size and available rear end ratios...more to follow...

ibleedmoparts said:
i know the 2.76 was a ratio...the 7 1/4 i pulled out of my dart had that also i know there was a 2.94 as well...i had a 76 aspen with a 2.94 8 1/4 rear...ill have to look but i have an old a$$ manual with the housing size and available rear end ratios...more to follow...

Thanks for the help, do you know what spline axles came in a 8 1/4"? From what I have seen at other sites, I am thinking 27 spline, but not positive.

The manual i had was 64-72 mitchell....it did however have ALL available ratios for 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 rears...not sure of the splines but ill call my father tomorrow and have him count....i have a bent axle out of my 8 1/4

Not trying to hijack the post. But I have an 8 1/4 question also.

Does anyone make disc brake conversion for the 8 1/4?
THANKS

I have a 8 1/4" I always thought it was 2.76 as well. I got 18 mpg average from Los Angeles To Houson.

My duster came with 8 1/4 3.21 sure-grip. However it also had the 360 4 bbl. from the factory. I geuss one could probley get the 3.21 sure-grip for any eng. combo if the box was checked on the order form.

plum360415 said:
My duster came with 8 1/4 3.21 sure-grip. However it also had the 360 4 bbl. from the factory. I geuss one could probley get the 3.21 sure-grip for any eng. combo if the box was checked on the order form.

I don't believe mine would have came with 3.21s because the original owner was a older lady who only drove a mile to and from work. I know it didn't come with a sure grip.

2.76 or 2.94 or 3.21 most likely. Pull the cover and count teeth to be sure. The early 8 1/4's have 27 spline axles and the later Dakota ones have 29 spline axles.

MY340 said:
2.76 or 2.94 or 3.21 most likely. Pull the cover and count teeth to be sure. The early 8 1/4's have 27 spline axles and the later Dakota ones have 29 spline axles.

I will have to do that, although I am thinking when I do that will be when i am replacing them.

Check this;

Replace that old gear fluid and look on the ring gear. The ratio will be stamped on the edge.
My 8-1/4 I picked up came from a '73 - 340 Duster (So he said and believe) The ratio is 3.21.

Look in your junk yards in your area for a Jeep Grand cherokee. They had 8 1/4 with disk brakes. I remember someone did this and the only real fabrication was minor.

I used dino oil last round. I also have a few "Whale oil" bottles left.
I'm not super positive on this, but isn't the new synth fluid out OK without it. (Whale oil)

-
Back