8 1/4 rear end 2.45 gears!

-

ScampChamp

Reaction score
Own a 1975 plymouth scamp with original rear axxle in it. The tag on the back of the pumpkin says 2.45 I'm assuming is the gear ratio. I was told the rear axle is a 8.25 or 8 1/4 axle does anyone know if that is correct or how I could find out ? I want to add some diff gears and some type of limited slip/posi setup so any info would help

That's a good chart, but it exaggerates how oval the 8 1/4 cover is. It is really more round than that.

Oh and SURE GRIP is the Mopar term for a limited slip. Posi is a chebbie term.

Also, if you buy one used, don't jump on the first one you see. There's a gear split in those carriers and if you get the wrong one, that 2.45 and I think 2.94 will be all you can run on it. I think the split is at 3.23 and up, I cannot remember for sure. I do know there's a "2" series carrier and a "3" series carrier and they are NOT interchangeable.

just built an 8.25 for my 66 from a 74 dart. it had 2.45's, just remember the carrier is special to 2.21's and 2.45's. 2.74's and up have a different carrier, the ring gear is approx 7mm farther left of center compared to the 2.74 and up carrier. also, theres 2 different carrier bearing sizes. if you swap out the gears and carrier pay attention to that. just went through that headache. not fun.

Oh man more too it then I thought and yes it's de a 8 1/4 rear end I no now for sure. A good dependable mopar guy has a 73 duster 8 1/4 rear a end with the sure grip 3:23 or 3:21 gears in it complete with lea springs. Should I get it? He want 300? Pretty good condition should bolt right up

I also have an 8.25" with 2:45 gears. I wrote to Dr.diff, and told him that I found a 3:55 sure grip carrier with gears in a '78 power wagon. He said all I needed to do the swap was a bearing, and seal kit for $110, so if you look for a late 70s half ton pickup you might get lucky like I did.

do you still have the peg leg 2:45 for an a body I daily drive a 73 4 door valiant 318 would like to up the ratio from 2:76 thank you

Ran into that problem myself. Didn't know they had different carrier bearings. Used ones on original carrier. Had to grind right side of housing to adjust carrier. I put in auburn 355 pos gear. Should have put 8 3/4 in. Lot less work

Basically a 2.45 nd higher case is by itself. 2.46 and lower the same. @memike and I want to eventually get that cleaned up, tons of info ibn there.

Yes it was just tagged that thread. It is because the pinon gear is so large it has to be offest in the case if I remember right. That was a ***** to prove also.

Basically a 2.45 nd higher case is by itself. 2.46 and lower the same. @memike and I want to eventually get that cleaned up, tons of info ibn there.
yea it needs better pics, better explanation with the pics then it needs yo be locked so only the facts stay there. thanks for trying though. great idea. .

yea it needs better pics, better explanation with the pics then it needs yo be locked so only the facts stay there. thanks for trying though. great idea. .
Yep , I need to put some time aside and clean it up some. I seem to have concentration problems of late, don't want to delete something that needs to stay in there.

That one will be a ***** also it is all over the place. Glad your the Moderator not me!

That one will be a ***** also it is all over the place. Glad your the Moderator not me!
I hope to get to this soon, I may have some questions later if I do get on it today

You know my number been a few years since I was in one.

I was just talking to a friend of mine tonight. He has a 78 Dodge Magnum that had a 360 with the 2.45 8 1/4 Sure grip. He installed a healthy 440 with those gears. He said he had no problem winding the speedometer needle all the way around way past the numbers. He said he still had a lot of gas peddle left to go.

-
Back