8.25 into a '67 barracuda

-

Dead End Kid

Reaction score
In searching around I think I'm closer to finding a rear end. The simplest route seems to be finding an 8.25" under an "A" body, but the several trips to the pick-apart has proven futile. Looks like next up is finding an F body. If I read the several posts correctly, I will have to deal with new spring perches and drive shaft issues...Still not totally bad, but am I giving up to easily on locating an A body 8.25? Or if the "F" 8.25 seems to be the route to go, wouldn't it make more sense to do the Ford 8.8 as this seems to be about the same sort of effort and $$, but with a stronger rear end in the end...I know...I'm being redundent:glasses3:

I haven’t tried an Aspen rear verses a Diplomat.
But I THINK they are the same width from what I read.
If that is the case it MIGHT be too wide for your car with out different backspacing on the rims.
You wouldn’t need “new” perches with a Diplomat rear.
If you have access to a welder you only have to weld a washer in the hole and move them. The drive shaft has to be changed/shorted no matter what you do if you have a 7 ¼.
If your car was a Sport/Duster the Diplomat rear works great. (Not all were 8 ¼ though)

I can PM you some how-to photos if you go this route. If you need some ideas on moving the perches.
In a Duster the A body rear looks too narrow since Mopar used the same ones in Valiant that they put in Duster. Looks puckered up in a Duster to me.

F body rears are quite a bit wider. I don;t remember how much exactly but I know it is too much to use in an a body.

An F-body rear is about 3" wider than an A-body rear so the Jeep one looks like the better second choice.

Chuck

According to a handy chart that was on one of the posts the A Body 8.25 is 51.4" where the F is 54.34". I remember seeing articles where a couple of years ago when 8 3/4"'s were still to be had from B bodies they were an alternative even though they were 55" wide. Granted, 1 1/2 on each side means that back spacing needs to be watched, but now you got me wondering. I'd seen some referencing to the JEEP. s there someone who has experience with this first hand?

I have a chart that details that info.

Here yall go!

tn_axles size.jpg

-
Back