8.25 sure grip

-

texas360

Reaction score
I can't find a good used 8.25 sure grip for the life of me.. Going from 2.79 to 3.55 would like to get rid of the one legger... I was looking at the lunchbox lockers. Are they good for street driving? I have heard they engage hard. This car driven on weekends, to shows, occasional cruise. Never race.

It will be kinda spendy even with a used one. You probably won't be able to reuse the bearings and need a new set.

It will be kinda spendy even with a used one. You probably won't be able to reuse the bearings and need a new set.

I got gears and a full Master install Kit.. I just need a sure grip or possibly a locker. I even have a sure grip I was given, but the center pin bolt was broke and the center gears where stuck in pin.. Was told it wasn't rebuild able

What about a Jeep 8.25? Will be 29 spline and can be had with disc brakes and 3.55. Boneyards are full of them. Do some measuring and swap it out.
Just did the exact same swap (not Jeep) to 3.55 in my B-Body . I was lucky enough to find a brand new 8.25 suregrip for $100. Not bragging....just sayin' you never know. Seen a few on eBang too.
Good luck.

I have Not started a want ad yet. New sure grips are around $4-$500. Don't really have that much to spend at the moment

Well that's the goin rate. Lunchbox lockers are not much cheaper. And no, they don't engage hard. That's probably from some pansy who thinks running over a twig just tore up his car. I will agree, that type differential is probably not the best for everyday street driving, especially in wet or possibly snowy or icy conditions.

I got gears and a full Master install Kit.. I just need a sure grip or possibly a locker. I even have a sure grip I was given, but the center pin bolt was broke and the center gears where stuck in pin.. Was told it wasn't rebuild able

Pictures.

I have a Detroit Locker in my car with a 3:55 gear in a 8.25 case.
If you go that route expect some noise out of it going around corners and putting it in reverse. I kinda coast around turns to let it disengage and then it clicks back in when you straighten it out.
And it's virtually indestructible is a plus. No clutches to slip and you know that both tires are getting the same power put to them.

-
Back