8-3/4 3rd Member to Housing Nut Torque?

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
What should the torque be for 8-3/4 3rd member to housing nuts?

The manual says 45 ft-lb, I broke two studs before that torque, after stopping at 30 ft-lb for all of them. Someone on this site said they torque them to only 30 ft-lb.

I am getting a full set of studs from Doctor Diff so they will be in good condition. What should I torque them to?

Thanks much...

Just did mine on my 69 8 3/4 and I am pretty sure it was 35 ft lbs. Have to dbl check in the morning.

In my 66 Plymouth Service Manual on Page 3-32 in the Tightening Reference table it states...

Differential Carrier to Axle Housing Bolt Nuts ....... 45 lb-ft

I am confused why there are so many opinions on this, shouldn't they be all the same?

As I do not know the year of my housing, maybe there are different size studs.

Thanks for the help.

It is only a 3/8" stud, 35 ft lbs should be the maximimum for that size stud. 45 ft lbs is to high for a 3/8" stud/bolt

Chuck

well, lets see, a honda civic makes about 34 ft. lbs. of torque, so yea, i so no more than 35. lmao

My manuals say 45 also but Chuck's right that's too much for a 3/8". That's why I torqued mine to 35 last time I did them. Been running over a year with no problem and I've beat it hard.

As far as using an impact, it all depends on your shop air. Compressor size, air line size, type of impact gun, etc.

Personally, I'd never use an impact for that type of thing.

We use silicone as a gasket and torque to 25 ft. lbs. on 8 3/4" center section. In other words, tight, but not overly tight with a short 3/8" hand ratchet. 8)

Thank you all for the replies...

35 ft-lb sounds like the answer.

I received my new studs yesterday from Doctor Diff... time to get to work!

Thanks again.

-
Back