8 3/4 avle/springs/shocks question ??

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just finishing complete front suspension rebuild on my 70 Dart.

Next week I be removing the 3.23 pegleg third member and installing
A 742 case 3.9 sure grip

The car will be a stoplight to stop light, street sleeper/cruiser
At the track just to know et/60 ft

Plan:
2 left side Mopar SS Springs (less arch than right) for 3200 lb car

Screw type adjustable pinion snubber

I have KYB GasAdjust shocks on all four corners

Sticky Mickey's Street Drag Radials, Maybe Nitto's

Because I am such a cheap bastard, I'm considering clamping the new /6 springs from front to back. Yes, I know that it will be stiff and a hard ride which the KYB's will contribute to

Comfort is not an issue here
Estimating 550 flywheel hp, hoping for good enuff traction to go

Your thoughts ??

EFFECTS.jpg

You say nothing about the most important part of a go fast car? The torque converter! Nothing under a 4000 tight stall would be your best choice.. Then you'll need good tires and shocks!

I street drove mine comfortably with a 5500 tight

Not following you, /6 leafs or ss leaf springs? You should be able to have a pair of ss springs made with less arch. Look for a local spring shop that makes truck springs, big trucks break springs all the time, highly serviceable part.

I like the nitto’s over the mickey’s.

The 3:91 may be a little steep for cruising.

You say nothing about the most important part of a go fast car? The torque converter! Nothing under a 4000 tight stall would be your best choice.. Then you'll need good tires and shocks!

I street drove mine comfortably with a 5500 tight
Sorry 3500 B and M Holeshor

So, are you going to drag race this at the track or just the street?

So, you want the best of both worlds. You're going to end up with a compromise as one setup isn't great for the other. What will you be doing the most of?

So, you want the best of both worlds. You're going to end up with a compromise as one setup isn't great for the other. What will you be doing the most of?
Go out haul *** for a while, smoke the tires, maybe get a quick street race, go home and drink wine

Unless your going to do burn out contests, smoking the tires isn't a benefit for either street or strip. Looks like mostly street to me. I'd forget the SS springs and just get some nice heavy duty ones with the same number of leaves on both sides. Bilstein or Koni shocks, or maybe some 90:10's up front for better weight transfer. Stickiest street tires you can afford to buy (and wear out!)

Burning rubber is an aphrodisiac

Not following you, /6 leafs or ss leaf springs? You should be able to have a pair of ss springs made with less arch. Look for a local spring shop that makes truck springs, big trucks break springs all the time, highly serviceable part.

I like the nitto’s over the mickey’s.

The 3:91 may be a little steep for cruising.
I am considering totally clamping the newer slant six factory leaf springs
Knowing it will be a stiff ride

Or
Using the SS springs as described earlier

Yes, Large bolt pattern 15 Cragars
SS, probably go with a 27 inch tall tire are in the works

Last edited:
Are you still going to shoot flames out of the tailpipes?
YES!!!
I will cut the rear valance to accommodate these Gibson tips.
3inch in 5 out
It will take some experimentation to get the flames 6 ft out from the car.
With each having a 3 ft fan out to make a 6 ft wall across of flames
I'll use propane 12v propane camper furnace lighters in each pipe
5 separate tanks of fuel in the trunk
Will shoot orange, purple, green and blue flame by mixing chemicals with gas. For example potassium will be purple.
The fifth tank will be 110 racing fuel to use when there will be some action
I haven't figured out the routing/fuel/solenoids/pumps yet

PXL_20230806_014100645.jpg

PXL_20230806_014108713.jpg

PXL_20230806_014125060.jpg

Last edited:
YES!!!
I will cut the rear valance to accommodate these Gibson tips.
3inch in 5 out
It will take some experimentation to get the flames 6 ft out from the car.
With each having a 3 ft fan out to make a 6 ft wall across of flames
I'll use propane 12v propane camper furnace lighters in each pipe
5 separate tanks of fuel in the trunk
Will shoot orange, purple, green and blue flame by mixing chemicals with gas. For example potassium will be purple.
The fifth tank will be 110 racing fuel to use when there will be some action
I haven't figured out the routing/fuel/solenoids/pumps yet

View attachment 1716123578

View attachment 1716123579

View attachment 1716123580
Looking forward to seeing that :thumbsup:

Burning rubber is an aphrodisiac

I am considering totally clamping the newer slant six factory leaf springs
Knowing it will be a stiff ride

Or
Using the SS springs as described earlier

Yes, Large bolt pattern 15 Cragars
SS, probably go with a 27 inch tall tire are in the works
I replaced a broken leaf spring in my pickup for $100, but that was 15 years ago. I’m sure they have gone up. I’m lucky that I have a spring shop, Babcock spring, 20 miles from me. They make all springs in house and will make any custom spring you want. They are very good at what they do, you can even watch them make them at the parts counter. It’s an open shop and I believe they have been in business over 100 years.

As for burnouts, get hard tires. More smoke and last longer. I’m on my second set of nitto’s after a pair of bf Goodrich drag radials. 5k tires till the tread is gone. They will last longer than tread gone but I need to drive my car occasionally in the rain.

With 550 hp, any gear set is going to light them up.

The flaming tail pipe thing I have never seen work right, it always ends up stalling the engine.

I replaced a broken leaf spring in my pickup for $100, but that was 15 years ago. I’m sure they have gone up. I’m lucky that I have a spring shop, Babcock spring, 20 miles from me. They make all springs in house and will make any custom spring you want. They are very good at what they do, you can even watch them make them at the parts counter. It’s an open shop and I believe they have been in business over 100 years.

As for burnouts, get hard tires. More smoke and last longer. I’m on my second set of nitto’s after a pair of bf Goodrich drag radials. 5k tires till the tread is gone. They will last longer than tread gone but I need to drive my car occasionally in the rain.

With 550 hp, any gear set is going to light them up.

The flaming tail pipe thing I have never seen work right, it always ends up stalling the engine.
I had heard that. I'm thinking putting the igniter just inside the tail pipe, fuel nozzle further up in the pipe
I'm sure it will require frigging

-
Back