8 3/4 axle bearing removal question

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
I have never replaced axle bearings. Every time I did a bbp swap, I bought new axles and pressed on the bearings. I see guys grinding slots and chiseling the keeper and bearing apart. That seems like the hard way. I do have a 20 ton press. Can these axle bearings not just pressed off? I have a bearing splitter if this helps. But before I broke my splitter and bent something I figured I would ask.

Here is what you need. It clamps behind the bearing, then brace it as shown on your press and push the axle down and out. I usually heat the retainer ring some to help expand and break bond with axle. Can probably rent tool from a good auto parts store.

There is the bull moose way with chisel and grinder but too easy to damage axle in my mind.....

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 733
Ok I have that. I've always heard them called a bearing splitter. Cool. Thanks.

I find that it is really easy with a dremel and disc to grove the collar and the 'inside' part of the bearing. Then an easy whack with the chisel and they're off...

Here is what you need. It clamps behind the bearing, then brace it as shown on your press and push the axle down and out. I usually heat the retainer ring some to help expand and break bond with axle. Can probably rent tool from a good auto parts store.

There is the bull moose way with chisel and grinder but too easy to damage axle in my mind.....

If you use the bearing splitter, make sure you set it up in your press as seen in the pic, with the bolts in line with the steel plates, so you dont bend the bolts in the splitter

I have a press, but prefer to just cut off and use a air chisel, I tape axle with electrical tape to prevent a nick.
Like this video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQdb5it7eJQ"]How To Remove Pressed-on Bearings - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube[/ame]

If you try to remove an intact 8.75" tapered roller wheel bearing in a press, the bearing will probably explode.

1. Score a 360 degree groove in the lock ring. I use a chop saw.
2. Cut the OUTER race off the wheel bearing with a torch or cutting wheel.
3. Pull the roller bearings and cage apart
4. Clamp the jaws of the bearing splitter into the groove cut in the lock ring
5. Press the lock rings off the shaft
6. Clamp the jaws of the bearing splitter against the protruding lip of the inner bearing race
7. Press the inner race off the shaft

DO NOT DO THIS. In a previous life, we used to change bearings all the time. If you press the thing off with a splitter and pressing on the end of the axle, sooner or later, you will BEND THE AXLE.

(How do ya spose I know this?)

The procedures are pretty well covered in the service manuals, and for the 1000ths? time, you can download them, free, from MyMopar

These are about page 3-28 in the 72 shop manual.

Attachments

• notch.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 371
  • retainer.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 674
  • rollers.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 331
  • remove.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 411
  • install.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 427
-