8-3/4 centre section swap

-

Graminizer

The "Big G"
Reaction score
There's an A body 8-3/4 rear for sale locally that has a 741 centre section with 276 gears. Housing, Axles, aftermarket rear sway bar, backing plates, brakes...all is there. My questions are:

1) Can any centre section type be swapped into the housing?

2) Say I want the better 742 or 489 centre section. What is required for the swap?

3) I'm assuming the axles will need to be swapped out for this as well?

1) Can any centre section type be swapped into the housing?

Yes

2) Say I want the better 742 or 489 centre section. What is required for the swap?

Nothing. But due so note the size of the U-joint to be used. Theres basicly 2 sizes that can be used. Lakewood has a "Cross over" U-joint that has the smaller size on one side and the larger size on the other side.

3) I'm assuming the axles will need to be swapped out for this as well?

No.

For the most part, rumblefish360 is correct. However, there are a few 3rd members that MAY not interchange without some modifications. The '64 and earlier 3rd members may have a thicker or thinner thrust block than the one you plan to remove depending on sure grip or not. All the '57-up 3rd members have the same side gear size for the axle shafts and they fit all the housings but you may have to get longer or shorter axle shafts to match the thrust block. The '65 and newer ones don't have that problem...just the u-joint varieties.

-
Back