8 3/4 cones or clutches???

-

swinger340

Reaction score
What are you running and what do you prefer? I've heard conflicting storys that cones are better, and that clutches are better. I have never had either apart but it looks to me that clutches would be easier to rebuild.

I have clutch type and have run them for years in my barracuda and jeeps. You can replace clutches easily, play around with thick and thin ones to tighten it up, whatever... cone type are for the most part non-rebuildable... unless you do some machine work on them and replace springs with heavier ones... my vote would be for the clutch type.

I have clutch type and have run them for years in my barracuda and jeeps. You can replace clutches easily, play around with thick and thin ones to tighten it up, whatever... cone type are for the most part non-rebuildable... unless you do some machine work on them and replace springs with heavier ones... my vote would be for the clutch type.

What years came with the clutch type?

Clutch type is the preffered style,but I,m running a cone-type now in one of my cars with no problems.Both can be rebuilt if you have the machinery and tools.JMO

I am not sure what all years had the clutch type. As far as I know, both clutch and cone type were used... Maybe someone with more knowledge can tell you what years they were offered.

I am not sure but I think Chrysler started using the cone type exclusively in 69. All clutch type till then.

I have a 741 case w an Auburn cone posi 3:55 gears in my swinger rite now. Mild 340, and it hooks up good posi and dont chatter @ all. After i dyno and install my fresh more stout 340 im going w a 742 case clutch style 3:91 unit. Up here there are die hard clutch unit only guys who say the cones are junk, but ive never had any issues w mine. Thats why I was kinda wondering. I also know a machinist who shaves the cones and puts stiffer springs in the Auburn units, he swears buy them. Mabe a preference thing? Or just that one is alot easier to rebuild then the other.

............8.75 came out in 1957 with the clutch type sure grip, used till 1968.....1969 up is the cone type sure grip...........kim.........

Another option: Dr. Diff has the Eaton TrueTrac. It has worm drive gears and no wear surfaces. I will not be able to test mine until Spring but I have heard good things about them.

Cone you must machine to rebuild and find someone who knows what to do.Clutch type you call mancini and they send you the parts you bolt in.

The cone type can not always be re-machined. Notice I said Re-machined, not rebuilt? That's because that's all you can do to a cone type, take some off of the sides of the cones so they grab the housing again. I have seen a couple where the cones ate into the housing so bad it was trashed and had to be junked. Never had a problem rebuilding a clutch type.

cones are great to sell to the mass's..... clutches are the only one you'll find in any of my 8 3/4s.....

-
Back