8 3/4 diff yoke

-

66CudaJeff

Reaction score
I've got my 3rd member apart and found wear on the end of the yoke. Should I file this down and use the yoke or buy a new one?

PXL_20230416_001312136.jpg

A little file work on the teeth ends if you want. I’d hit the outside diameter (that the seal rides on) with some Emory cloth at the least. What do the u-joint saddles look like is more important. Run a thread cleaner/restorer in the u-joint strap bolt holes and flush out. That’s what I’d do.
Nothing wrong with what you have there. In my opinion

A little file work on the teeth ends if you want. I’d hit the outside diameter (that the seal rides on) with some Emory cloth at the least. What do the u-joint saddle a look like is more important. In my opinion.
The joint saddles look fine. Thanks for the advise! Maybe I can save some money after all!!

Are you replacing the pinion gear. That wear is most likely from the bearing race. If the pinion was spinning inside the race. What does the pinion look like?

Are you replacing the pinion gear. That wear is most likely from the bearing race. If the pinion was spinning inside the race. What does the pinion look like?
Everything looks ok to me. When I took it apart I found the preload shims were broken. Everything else looks fine to me. This car is new to me since last summer. I drove it once before I bought it but the 3rd member was leaking bad so I removed it to reseal it.

Op said the shims broke, (and its coarse thread) so likely a 741/742 case
My guess as well.

As long as it is square to the CL of the yoke there should not be any issues.

If it was me, I would have the end machined flat and square.

Or replace it.

It presses on the bearing/shim and if not flat and square creats pressure points, might be what broke the shims on the first place????

-
Back