8 3/4 doctor diff axles

-

Elwood blues

Reaction score
Looking at buying a set of stock 8 3/4 axle shafts from doctor diff but unsure of which studs I need for it I'll have drums on them and I wasn't sure if I need the press in drum studs or the 2 in bolt on studs.

Pretty sure that the stock axles will have press in studs. Just ask dr. Diff when you order them he'll know what you need.

It all depends on what your doing with the car. For stock replacement go with press in studs. If I'm not mistaken the screw in studs are stronger for racing applications

Looking at buying a set of stock 8 3/4 axle shafts from doctor diff but unsure of which studs I need for it I'll have drums on them and I wasn't sure if I need the press in drum studs or the 2 in bolt on studs.

Stock axles?
Set up for what brakes, original 10x1-3/4" or?

I plan on it being a street/strip build and would be going with stock 10" drums in the back its just gives a bunch of options when choosing studs and it kinda threw me for a loop.

it is best to call Dr Diff aka cass....as he needs to know what drums and backing plates you are using... alot of people use the B body backing plates to use larger drum brakes....and the off set on the axles are different....

The Doctor Diff replacement axles in 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern come with provisions for both press in and screw in studs. When you order them he will ask you which of the two stud types you want installed when they are shipped. Later down the road you can simply install the other type if you wish to change. The screw in studs are 1/2" and I believe the press in are 7/16".

He will also do a custom set for an additional fee. I had him make me a set two weeks ago with dual bolt pattern screw in studs: large and small bolt pattern.

D3C8C308-D896-4BAD-8C8C-3A9F132501A5.jpeg
C4A48466-3A3D-483D-8D23-22DF8620B604.jpeg
A47C69A8-2D89-47A9-85BC-4582B7AF0014.jpeg
F4CAFC5D-58D1-4431-A18F-76A9DC37CBB2.jpeg

Last edited:
If you will be using thick flanged aluminum wheels, I would get 3 inch studs.

You also should consider what lug nuts you are using. With mag wheels, using the lug nuts with a cap on the outer end, too long a stud will push the cap off the lug nut. That happened to me when I took the wheels off a stock stud length axle, and put them on a screw in stud axle.

-
Back