8 3/4 drum brake question

-

1963dartgt

Reaction score
So I have a 1963 dart that has a slant 6 and and 8 3/4 in it . I know the rear end was put in it sometime between 1964 and 2012 :). My question is how can I tell what size my shoes are.The problem I have is the brakes aren't working and before I start beating and cussing at it I wanna make sure I have the correct parts to replace them. It's got 14" sbp steelies and when I pulled the wheel off the drum looks like a giant bell and I have found nothing that's looks like them. Thanks in advanced.

I apologize wrong section if someone could move it please, thank you.

Sorry forgot to mention the drums are stuck on I tried getting off with a torch and a rubber mallet but they didn't budge .

I'll get Some pics from behind the wheel tonight and with the wheel off tomorrow

Dump the rubber mallet. get a big hammer, and a big screwdriver hammer the drums solidly and try to get that screwdriver between the backing plate and the drum. get the drum to turn and work it off like that. you loosen the self adjusters? The parking brake is not on , is it? Also if all else fails, grind off the "head" of the hold down nail.
NWMDC

Dump the rubber mallet. get a big hammer, and a big screwdriver hammer the drums solidly and try to get that screwdriver between the backing plate and the drum. get the drum to turn and work it off like that. you loosen the self adjusters? The parking brake is not on , is it? Also if all else fails, grind off the "head" of the hold down nail.
NWMDC

Tim hit the nail on the head here...

You may also try to loosen the bleeder screw to help retract the shoes if they are too tight...

easier just to take screwdriver and hammer and knock them off. (nail heads)

Thanks everyone one more question ,what car would I order the parts for.

Anything prior to 72 that had an 8.75, like a 68 Barracuda 4sp. That would probably get you an 8.75 stock app. work adjuster back with a screwdriver

-
Back