8 3/4 from small to big bolt

-

trunkman

Reaction score
I want to change my 69 Dart from a small bolt to big bolt pattern. Can I do it with the existing backing plates and brake hardware and just change the axles and drums or do I have to change everything.
Thanks, Neale

If you go with aftermarket axles, make sure you tell them you want the A body standoff. It's shorter than the other BBP rears.

Then you drill your current drums for 4.5 and you're good to go.

Going with the other car standoff distance, you need to replace the backing plates.

c body axles an backing plates nice way to go 11" drums 2 to 2 1/2" shoes .... getting ready to do that swap my self .... machine shop re-spline an cut to length 75$ ... then going to move whole diff back 1 1/2" an in 3'' as to be able to get some tire under it ....

it is best to get new axles and backing plates to reap the full benefits of the big bolt pattern what are the a body brakes 1 3/4 wide? i forget. you should go to 10 x 2.5 drums or even better 11 x 2.5 drums. buy a whole assemble so you get the right parts. either new axles or a set of c body axles resplined. it doesn tmake any sense to me to re drill a body drums. they are small to begin with and if you need to replace them, they arent the easiest to find, you will have to have the new set re drilled. the stupidest part of that route, no wheel will be hub centric because you have that tiny hub from the 4" bolt pattern.

Thanks for all your help. This will get me to where I need to be and have a couple of options to work with. Thanks again and thanks forabodiesonly

best bet in my opinion like stated already is to change to a moser,yukon large bolt pattern axle and use big bolt drums.

-
Back