8 3/4 I.d.

-

Kevin D.

Reaction score
I scored a complete a-body 83/4 rear less drums the other day for $200.00.How do I tell what year it is 741 case non posi bbp.Also how do figure out what size brakes.Help!! Kevin.

Now that's interesting. I thought all A-body rear ends were the same width. Seems you can gain almost 2" tire clearance by just changing to a '73-76 7.25 or 8.25 rear end, or any A-body 8.75.

Hmmmm........

Kevin, this is one of the better sites with complete rear-end information, as well brake setup requirements. All isn't as simple as just a new rear end until you read everything including...the depending transmission if auto 904/727, driveshaft length, Axle width ect..Also in this link should talk about your brake shoe application. I take it your happy going from a 7.25???

Of course after your read ask more questions if required.

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

Now that's interesting. I thought all A-body rear ends were the same width. Seems you can gain almost 2" tire clearance by just changing to a '73-76 7.25 or 8.25 rear end, or any A-body 8.75.

Hmmmm........

Yah Darwin, that's why I had no problems taking the son's 8.75 from the Duster and slapped it right under the old 7.25 69 Signet..Pirches and everything the same line right up. And could add larger tires..Cool

That chart is wrong about the length of an 8.75 A body rear.

They are 52 5/8" not 51.40"

Brakes are based on the backing plates. A's have a different offset and wierd width 1.75". If you are stepping up to 4.5 BC then any BBP backing plate and drum assembly will work as long as you use them as a unit.

That chart is wrong about the length of an 8.75 A body rear.

They are 52 5/8" not 51.40"

Brakes are based on the backing plates. A's have a different offset and wierd width 1.75". If you are stepping up to 4.5 BC then any BBP backing plate and drum assembly will work as long as you use them as a unit.

Right!! That chart should be removed or corrected since it's not correct.

Ok, I removed the chart. So for the mis-information

Dartcuda I didn't mean any offense toward you. And I didn't mean you remove it from this thread. It's not your fault the link is long. I meant it should be either corrected or taken off the Internet by whoever's page it is. Allot of guys have screwed up housings narrowing them too short then the axles don't fit.

Dartcuda I didn't mean any offense toward you. And I didn't mean you remove it from this thread. It's not your fault the link is long. I meant it should be either corrected or taken off the Internet by whoever's page it is. Allot of guys have screwed up housings narrowing them too short then the axles don't fit.

No problem. I just don't want to post something that is not right. Glad you said something. We learn something new everyday.

Thanks for all the info going from a 81/4 posi 3.91 adjustable snubber that I will be selling no problems.I believe the only reason I am changing I want to go to 4.56 gear.Thanks Kevin.

-
Back