8 3/4 move back options

-

terry

Reaction score
hi folks here is my question i have a 68 notchback barracuda that i had pulled the rear end back to mount the front hole on the axle spring perch to the super stock springs. i also drilled another hole on the shock mount plate to help align the leaf spring center bolt.now this did give me the room i needed in the front by the qtr panel when i mounted my tires.but i am not real happy with doing it this way. should i have left it all alone and just put in a 3/8 aluminum block between the front leaf spring perch and frame? that way everything stayed in the stock position.
thanks
terry

You could make a new set of front hangars with the spring mounting hole moved back to gain the room you need.

I moved mine back the same way you did, by drilling a new hole in the spring perch. I didn't modify the shock mount though. I thought about adding a spacer in front of the front spring hanger, but that would force the rear shackle back the same amount and limit the compression of the spring. I don't see any geometry problems with drilling a new hole in the spring perch.

Boy, I do. This places the U bolts at an angle, trying to pull the axle against the spring center bolt. Those are NOT all that big (5/16 I think?), and seems to me this sets up stress that you might regret.

longer bolts in front hangers and some spacer plates between mount location and hanger... done, no re-engineering.

to 67dart273 YES your right about the u-bolts being at an angle not a heck of alot but enough to see it is not straight up and down. and not correct. i thought of putting everything back to stock location then just getting a 3/8 square aluminum plate and mill 2 slots in it that are even with the perch studs then loosen the front spring perch and just slide the aluminum plate between the perch and frame then tighten up the studs nuts.

-
Back