8 3/4 questions

-

growdude

Disabled but not dead
Reaction score
Will a rebuilt 8 3/4 stand up to a 408 heavily modified stroker with out any serious issues .it's going to be in an a,body 70 dart

Many class racing B bodys that carry the front wheels use 8.75 without any trouble. If you are running a stick with clutch dump at high RPM I would consider a Dana, otherwise you should be fine.

Is this a street car driven on street tires, or a race car with slicks and a transbrake, or somewhere in between? Auto or standard? More information is needed.

My mildly built 408/4 speed., around 500 hp broke the sure grip spider gears launching at the drag strip on slicks, but a street car, street tires, no problem.

Many class racing B bodys that carry the front wheels use 8.75 without any trouble. If you are running a stick with clutch dump at high RPM I would consider a Dana, otherwise you should be fine.

I would guess that they are back braced and running spools and good axles.

Get a Dana and you can forget about it.

Is this a street car driven on street tires, or a race car with slicks and a transbrake, or somewhere in between? Auto or standard? More information is needed.

Exactly. You can have a blown 2000 hp Hemi but if your running E78-14 bias ply tires you'll never break anything

even if you put a back brace on it...good axles...forged caps..and whatever...the weak point on the 8 3/4 is the ring gear....sooner or later you will eat one...

and with a torqueflite trans if it breaks in 1st gear on launch where they usually do you will need to pull the trans to inspect and/or replace the overrunning clutch aka sprag in the trans..

Our 71 Dart with just a 360 twisted the housing...yes..there was no back brace...and the ring gear was on it way out.....

Now it has a Strange Dana 60....

Simple answer is YES the 8.75 mopar rear end when setup correctly with right parts will withstand a serious amount of HP and TRQ no need for the scientific evaluation of driving techniques and the such

Will a rebuilt 8 3/4 stand up to a 408 heavily modified stroker with out any serious issues .it's going to be in an a,body 70 dart

What is a heavily modified 408?

The 8-3/4 is pretty strong and will stand up to a real good level of power. As the folks said above, it's when the slicks and high rpm launches start at the track they start to give up. My friends '69 all steel 400 inch Dart (except fiberglass hood) went into the 9's for a while before it gave up.

Thanks for everyone's input .I'm going with dana 60 .I had one under a really stout 340 with w2s and never had one problem on the street or at the track on slicks.got an 8 3/4 but dana are not too hard to find under trucks and the usually have a decent street/strip gear in them.to the country junk yard I go.

-
Back