8 3/4 Rear Disc Brakes

-
The biggest problem with a lot of the rear brake kits is that they use too large of a piston. With a big rear piston you have to run a huge front piston and then a big master cylinder. If you use a big rear piston with a small front piston you'll end up with a rear bias that you can't fix. The car will spin if you lock the brakes.

Couldn't you cure that with a proportioning valve inserted in the rear brake line??

Those look like 85 Eldorado calipers, if so the e-brake will not work to good with the pull type hand brake. Since they were made for a foot operated pedal you just can't get enough leverage with hand operated one.

The biggest problem with a lot of the rear brake kits is that they use too large of a piston. With a big rear piston you have to run a huge front piston and then a big master cylinder. If you use a big rear piston with a small front piston you'll end up with a rear bias that you can't fix. The car will spin if you lock the brakes.

I don't know about that, on my rock crawler I run a 4 piston caliper up front and Monte Carlo front calipers on the rear. My master cylinder is a 1" bore and they work fine. I do drive this on the road too.

The scarebirds are chev celebrity brakes,should not be a concern. Im thinking the Dr Diff brakes will be ok too as they are stock mustang stuff.

Going to look at a car in the morning that has a disc brake set up on an 8 3/4 under a 64 barracuda. owner does not know the brand of it. any one have tips on how to determine what brand the kit is? this might be a tough one to ask with out knowing the brand, but if they dont have a parking brake set up, is that a pricey addition?

thanks.

-
Back