8 3/4 rear seals

-

Wagon of Death

Aussie Barracuda Fisherman
Reaction score
Probably a noob question but are there 2 seals in the end of the diff tube? I have the axle seal fitted but how do the rear bearings get lubricated and how do I stop the oil from coming out onto the backing plates...I googled some pics but Im still not clear...seen some gaskets for the plates the hold the axles in..are these critical? The reason I ask is I did a diff centre swap and now both sides are leaking badly...it wasnt before I did this and the mess and smell is driving me crazy

The axle bearings don't get lubricated by the oil in the differential, they're greased before install just like front wheel bearings. There's two seals, one before the bearings, and one on the flange. The other possibility is that you damaged the inner seals when you pulled/reinstalled the axles.

875rearend.jpg

You probably dragged the axles on the inner seals and damaged them. Easy enough and cheap to replace. Its a good practice to replace them whenever you pull axles unless you know they have been replaced recently and are careful when you R&R the axles.

Thanks for the reply guys...My bearings are also noisy and not too greasy, which may be another issue...Ill get some axle seals and go from there, grease the wheel bearings while the axles are out...

if i read you post correctly --- you had new axle seals installed into the housing --- make sure they are installed to the proper depth about 1.675 inches in from the housing flange face -- if not the axle bearing lock collar will contact the seal face when you install and tighten up the axle shaft retainer bolts and ruin the seal -- seen this many times over the years

Make sure you set the axle shaft end play correctly (I shoot for .006-.010") when you assemble it too or it'll let the axles ride off center and the seals will leak and it'll ruin the bearings

-
Back