8 3/4 rear to beat a dead horse lol

-

Gnome

Reaction score
ok i spotteda 8 3/4 rear in a late 60 early 70s d100 ... what IS EVERYTHING i need to change to bolt it up under a 75 dart?

Did you measure the width from backing plate to backing plate?How wide?
Take everything..e-brake cables and the d.shaft also.JMO

not yet i just spotted it didnt have time or money... will go after it next weekend if its still there.

It will have to be narrowed and the axles cut and resplined.
The third member probably doesn't have a pinion snubber on it or holes to bolt one on.
On the plus side, it might have 3:55 or 3:91 gears in it if it's original!

If not my friend says he has a 3rd member he would sell me. Hopefully it will still be there lol. Is there a write up that says how much will need to be cut AND be able to find a local place that will do it.

Depending on the engine, eveyone I have seen has 3.91 open rear, small 741 case.

I got a couple out of 70's Pickups. 489 case, 3.55 gears, If you are lucky the axles will not be tapered and you can shorten and respline them. Good luck.

ok my list of grabs will be
shock plates
e-brake cables
driveshaft
drums (since most of it will be attached

since this will be put in a 75 with a slant (cause you never know where the sleepers are lol) it will still have the 904 so i am guessing the DS will need to be shortened?

also found this http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/875axle.shtml but it mostly mentions just cars i'm guessing not too many truck axles were used?

Yes the driveshaft will need to be shortened also. Make sure if you have it done locally that the shop uses an alignment jig for the axle. You will probably find that Moser Engineering will be the least costly route as I doubt anybody local will do the axles anyway. I paid 110 to do my axles and I beleve the housing was 145 with new spring perches installed too. Plus shipping. I think the housing was around 40 to ship each way and the axles just a bit more. Don't give too much for the rear if it's not the gear ratio you want, I used a C body rear for mine that I got for 110 complete.

ok my list of grabs will be
shock plates
e-brake cables
driveshaft
drums (since most of it will be attached

since this will be put in a 75 with a slant (cause you never know where the sleepers are lol) it will still have the 904 so i am guessing the DS will need to be shortened?

also found this http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/875axle.shtml but it mostly mentions just cars i'm guessing not too many truck axles were used?

I'm not sure why you would need the e brake cables, I just dropped an 8 3/4 (from a 7 1/4) under my 74 Dart Sport and used the cables that was in there, they worked fine.

I will mention that IF you can use the same cables make sure to back off the adjustment as you will have a hard time hooking up the cables to the pull in the drum, one side will hook up pretty good, it's when you get to the other side it will be extremely tight. I backed mine off about 1 1/4".

-
Back